Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen wheels that have the outside edges polished. How can you get the paint off. I am assuming that you just sand it. Will the paint in the center come off too. Some one told me that it is powder coating. Should I mask it off? Has anyboy ever done this? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
i done mine a few months ago, but i didn't use tape on the center part...i done another bike a few years ago and the paint stripper bled through the tape and i had to re-paint center part...try using grease on center...it's a messy clean up, but i didn't have any stripper bleed through.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Follow the directions on this website. Use automotive masking tape and "Aircraft stripper" from the auto store. Regular strippers do not work!! Do not use sandpaper!! Bepatient! Let the stripper do the work and use a nylon brush to remove excess paint. Do not sand, gouge or scratch the surface in any way!! Polish with a good aluminum polish by hand. Plan on spending at least 2 hours per wheel.
/forum/uploads/barflyer/mvc-030s.jpg

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I just realized the previous owner had stripped the paint off my wheels, but right now it just looks dull (and dirty). Will a cleaning and aluminum polish take care of that?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Good luck i too have a black 636 but was considering polishing entire wheel? anyone outhere with entire wheel polished on an 03 636?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Before you attempt the mod check out this thread:
http://kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8514

=========================================================
DRB NW WA State USA

Aircraft stripper burns paint off metal like nobody’s business. It’s also dangerously corrosive and combustible, but hopefully that’s self-evident. I stripped an ’85 600R tank in no time with that crap some years ago.

Question: once the wheels are polished, are they sealed? Aluminum and alloys gradually form very thin layers of aluminum oxide (corrosion or protection, depending on how you look at things) by exposure to the atmosphere. The oxidation inhibits additional corrosion, but still slowly builds up over time. Apparently acidity and alkalinity also play a part, making me wonder what various cleaning products do to the metal surface.

Whatever paints and primers they use on the wheels inhibit corrosion by shielding the raw metal, as you might guess, as does anodizing (creation of an artificial aluminum oxide coating on aluminum). Aluminum tends to “pit” (corrode) when the aluminum oxide coating is disturbed. Look at older aluminum car wheels for an example.

I do not know what aluminum alloy ZX-6R wheels use. Is there a final treatment, do they naturally resist corrosion well, or what?

-=DRB=-
=========================================================

Final treatment or sealant for the rims?

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
If you dont keep them clean, or ride in the winter in areas where their is salt on the roads, it can cause corrosion.

You can prevent this by cleaning them regularly. If there is a nice day out in the winter, and I want to go for a ride, I will wash the wheels (well the whole bike, but special attention to wheels) when I get back.
As for sealant, you can use car wax, works fine, or you can do a little extra, and use a sealant/glaze, then wax. Mothers brand is good, they make the sealant/glaze, and the final wax.

Also note no matter how much you clean them, from time to time they will need a good scrubbing and/or repolish (take out the metal polish and go over it again), just so you know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.