Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride with a guy on a 2002 Honda 954 and I hate him!!! Our group is made upo of several 600s andf then this guy and he's a wheelie maniac on that thing! Just barely hit the throttle and the bike just stands right up....no loud screaming exhaust roar, no clutching.....just smooth sailing! So, that said, I've been thinking about going to an open class bike myself because my bike actuaklly requires some work to bring the wheel up. I have loads of performance work done to it, but I'm thinking about gearing it now. That's pretty much all that's left to do (besides hot cams and other engine-killers). My question (for those of you who have geared bikes) is how much easier are wheelies when you gear your bike? I don't care much about the raised cruising RPMs and lowered gas mileage, etc... I just want a little more torque and wheel-lifting power. What do you guys think? Suggestions please?!?!

- Jon
2000 ZX6-R

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I love my 600, and it's fast as hell in the twisties, but for doing wheelies, we need a little more ponies. I really thought hard about buying a 636, but I've narrowed my choices to either the zx10r (if it comes out this year) or a used 954rr or gsxr750. I know, neither of the last ones are Kawi's, but have you seen the newer zx7r's? Fucking ugly. Plus, my friend works at the local dealer, and can find me a really cheap Honda. I can probably get an 02 954rr for around 5k or so.

·
Registered
337 Posts
TommyV you have got the hookup! That's an incredible opportunity. Anyway, here's my 2 cents... My '97 6r wheelied WAY easier after I went down one in front. I think it's the cheapest most effective change for wheelie torque - just look at minitryker's gearing.

I don't blame you guys for wanting an open classer either, though. I just bought a 96 RR that's down one in front, full arrow exhaust with jet kit. On wide open throttle, the front end just starts to lift up into the air at about 7k (that's with the carbs out of synch. I haven't had time to have that fixed yet). Smooth and easy. Honestly, I'm still more comfortable doing the open/close throttle wheelies on the 6R, but I think that's because I'm not used to the 900 yet.

On the other hand, don't the new 600's (mine is pretty old) power wheelie in first gear just as easy as the way I've described my CBR doing it? Maybe even better/easier since the 900RR redlines at 11k and the 600's have more time after the wheel comes up due to higher rpm range? Maybe somone should ask minitryker.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I ride with a guy that has a Honda F2, 10 up, and it'll come up without even trying. He swears it comes up easier than his 929. You won't ever see him out on the highway though.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have a 954 and a 6r right now. Yes the 954 comes up with ease and does require any effort but the 6r is way easy to control in a wheelie. I would rather wheelie my 6r than my 954. Now back to your question about gearing. On my old 01 6r I had dropped one tooth on the front which seemed to help a little bringing it up, but I can bring a bone stock one up in 3rd gear just the same. The gearing just allowed me to bring it up at a slightly lower speed. With that said on the 6r or any 600 its more about timing and rpm's than power.

·
Registered
266 Posts
one question minitryker. why did you sell your yellow 6r to get the black?? just curious bro

·
Registered
999 Posts
I sold the yellow to get the 954, then the day after I bought the 954 I found out about the 6r I have now so I bought it. Plus I had to much money in the yellow 6r to stunt it, plus the 6r I have now was already setup for stunts. Im trying to buy another 954 to stunt just havent found one for the right price yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.