Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, 3 weeks ago I took my 07 in for the dreaded oil leak. After waiting patiently for the bike to be fixed, I finally got the call to pick it up today. 2 weeks before I had the leak, I put on a PCIII, K&N Air Filter, and a Full Akra exhaust. It ran great for the two weeks, even with the oil leak. I had no stalling and there was a little gurgling upon deceleration, but it still ran amazing.

I picked up the bike today and when I started it up, it sounded a little weird to me but I figured that was because I hadn't heard it in a few weeks. Well, after driving down the road from the dealership, I heard a really loud "POP". I had no idea what it was until it happened upon deceleration again at a stop light. Then the bike started stalling on me when I would pull in the clutch to downshift and the oil pressure light would blink. I called the dealership up and he tells me to bring it back in. He thinks that my PCIII went bad, and that over half of the PCIII's installed go bad.

I want to say BULLSHIT! I know they will try and pawn this off on the aftermarket upgrades I did. How would a PCIII go bad in 3 weeks of just sitting in a shop? Does a PCIII lose it's config after some time? I love how my bike goes from running great, to running like absolute crap after they change out the gasket and my upgrades are to blame.

Any ideas?

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
sometimes the pc can lose its map..yes.
could just try reloading it, and see what happens.

but, id say its unlikely thats what happend.

you can always unhook it, or load the ZERO map, and see what happens.

this POP, was it from the exhaust? or elswhere?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sometimes the pc can lose its map..yes.
could just try reloading it, and see what happens.

but, id say its unlikely thats what happend.

you can always unhook it, or load the ZERO map, and see what happens.

this POP, was it from the exhaust? or elswhere?
It was from the exhaust. It was loud as hell too. It was only on downshift or Decel.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
sounds like the pc. check all connections and make sure it's hooked up rite.

i tried to load a map for a guy last night on his busa, he's had the bike parked going on 2 months while installing a turbo, pc3 worked before he started the project, last night the computer says "no communication with pc"

so, it may be possible. his won't connect with his laptop to load anything.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds like the pc. check all connections and make sure it's hooked up rite.

i tried to load a map for a guy last night on his busa, he's had the bike parked going on 2 months while installing a turbo, pc3 worked before he started the project, last night the computer says "no communication with pc"

so, it may be possible. his won't connect with his laptop to load anything.
I will give them a call tomorrow morning. I will see if I can take my laptop down and load the map back on it.

The other thing that I am gonna have to check is the wiring to the PCIII. My tail was broke when I bought the bike new, and I had them replace it at this same time. I am wondering if they cut one of the wires in the wiring harness. Dynojet said that might be part of the issue.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Apparently my bike is fixed. I got a call from the guy's this morning and I guess the tech that put my bike back together forgot to connect a hose into the bottom of the airbox. They said it runs great now. I will believe it when I see it.

Would the lack of air getting to the engine cause the backfire?

Correct this theory if I am wrong.

With the backfire(afterfire) happening on decel and the closing of the throttle, their would be less air in the fuel/air mixture. So it would make it overly rich and it would ignite in the exhaust. So with the tube connected it is running at the correct mixture.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hey warbuk did you guys try with the 9v hooked up? It is one of those easy things to forget I know me and a buddy tried a few times before he remembered he need the 9v hooked up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
They probably unhooked the battery since working on cars/bikes always calls for that to be the first step and you lost the map the pcIII had. Try reloading it first and then go from there. If it still doesn't work I would make the dealership buy and tune u a new one.

·
Registered
744 Posts
if its a loud pop its really nothing to worry about. its just back fire. if it does it while under acceleration then its a prob but on decel its basically unspent gas vapor in the header that ignites pc3 runs rich till u tune

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yea It will show the rpm and such running but on some bikes if the key is just in the on position it wont show anything or keep power on the pc3. With Warbuk saying the guy just put a turbo on it I'm figuring he was going to load a real rich map before he even started it so it could not go lean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts