Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Interesting, I have surging all over the rev range at steady throttle input so will give this a go before getting deeper into diagnostics. Thanks :)
That's good advice, always set the correct idle speed, chain tension and tire pressure before looking at anything else, especially on our bike!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My bike damn near stalled at ~3-4K going around a slow corner not too long ago. I had to put my foot out and pull the clutch to keep from falling over. The ignition coil thing sounds feasible, bike just turned over 10K and is 8 years old.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick update on my issue, it's less like surging more like redardation when on steady throttle. I played about with the manual idle speed adjuster on the right hand side of the bike so try and tune this out (why this is there if it can cause issues is beyond me) and managed to get some results but I've definitely not cured it. and it resurfaces based on outside/engine temperature conditions. I need to get the idle set by a professional. However, the idle differs depending on outside temp, engine temp, etc. So I'm not sure this isn't something more serious. On an EFI engine I'd expect it to digitally maintain the idle revs..?
I'm beginning to suspect the chain, it appears to be adjusted correctly, however, the bike is only 18 months old and has only covered 3k miles. At least it's under warranty for any engine issues but I'd like to solve this myself!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Adjusted chain, no difference.
Adjusted throttle cable, no difference.
Played around with idle, some psychological difference!
Dropped the bike at Kawasaki for further investigation this afternoon. Will update when they find the fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, this is the verdict. Kawasaki Leicester tells me that after speaking to Kawasaki UK (I presume) it's a 'charactersitic' of the ER6. The ECU runs the engine as lean as possible for emission purposes so it's constantly adjusting to avoid knocking. Apparently the emissions on my bike is running at 0.05% unburnt fuel at the exhaust. I'm told the max limit is 3%. According to KL the factory recommended I fit a Power Commander if I couldn't live with the 'characteristic', when asked if this would inalidate my arranty I was told 'no'. Dubious? I certainly am. I am recommending to myself that I change the bike for one that can run smoothly at constant throttle. Ho hum.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Ok, this is the verdict. Kawasaki Leicester tells me that after speaking to Kawasaki UK (I presume) it's a 'charactersitic' of the ER6. The ECU runs the engine as lean as possible for emission purposes so it's constantly adjusting to avoid knocking. Apparently the emissions on my bike is running at 0.05% unburnt fuel at the exhaust. I'm told the max limit is 3%. According to KL the factory recommended I fit a Power Commander if I couldn't live with the 'characteristic', when asked if this would inalidate my arranty I was told 'no'. Dubious? I certainly am. I am recommending to myself that I change the bike for one that can run smoothly at constant throttle. Ho hum.
Certainly not a satisfactory answer :headshake:

Sounds more like that they wanted to get rid of you because that's a "characteristic" that my Er6 is lacking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Noisybrother,

I just got my new Kawa ER6-n and I'm having the similar issue with it.
After an XT600 it's quiet strange to ride this bike smoothly, because it stutter in low rpm. It drives me mad to be honest. I use the bike only to commute into the city and I can't really spin it at all, also don't really want to. This bike does not behaves properly in low rpm or something's wrong with it. Anyhow I'll ask the dealer regarding to this, but I wanted to be sure if someone has the same problem like me. I had a new small YBR Yamaha and the XT and neither of them had this issues at all.
The XT had a cylinder had issue and was smoother ride on that than this ER6-n, which is I guess really bad!

This is a brand new bike and the engine has injector, so smooth ride in any rpm should be expected. If this will be the normal behaviour then I'll be very disappointed, because not good and fun to ride this bike at all.

I had similar issue with one of my old crap car. When I pushed the gas pedal the car didn't accelerate straight away just after 1/4 sec or something. You could felt that something is not right.
The issue was the spring on the carburettor.
It was too soft and could not pump the petrol into the carb as soon as it needed, after I pulled it back to proper position it was fixed.

So when I was cornering in second gear or first and started accelerating the car pulled properly with out stuttering/lagging or whatever it's called.

I do hope in my case will be something wrong and this is not a normal behaviour.
This bike is actually designed for a city and it is a city bike in the Kawa catalogue. Is it really???

:confused:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hi Noisybrother,

I just got my new Kawa ER6-n and I'm having the similar issue with it.
After an XT600 it's quiet strange to ride this bike smoothly, because it stutter in low rpm. It drives me mad to be honest. I use the bike only to commute into the city and I can't really spin it at all, also don't really want to. This bike does not behaves properly in low rpm or something's wrong with it. Anyhow I'll ask the dealer regarding to this, but I wanted to be sure if someone has the same problem like me. I had a new small YBR Yamaha and the XT and neither of them had this issues at all.
The XT had a cylinder had issue and was smoother ride on that than this ER6-n, which is I guess really bad!

This is a brand new bike and the engine has injector, so smooth ride in any rpm should be expected. If this will be the normal behaviour then I'll be very disappointed, because not good and fun to ride this bike at all.

I had similar issue with one of my old crap car. When I pushed the gas pedal the car didn't accelerate straight away just after 1/4 sec or something. You could felt that something is not right.
The issue was the spring on the carburettor.
It was too soft and could not pump the petrol into the carb as soon as it needed, after I pulled it back to proper position it was fixed.

So when I was cornering in second gear or first and started accelerating the car pulled properly with out stuttering/lagging or whatever it's called.

I do hope in my case will be something wrong and this is not a normal behaviour.
This bike is actually designed for a city and it is a city bike in the Kawa catalogue. Is it really???

:confused:
I am sorry to say this but if you search a bit more you will find a few more similar threads dealing with the same problem.

I am quite astonished I must say, because as far as I can remember the fueling on my bike with the standard exhaust was flawless. In my opinion too, this has something to do with emissions and the ECU messing around with the mixture ratio in order to comply with them, in more recent models at least.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks GR rider!

I'm just confused about this!

Having had a loads of rubbish old cars(behind iron curtain country you repair yourself everything) and dealing with them, I must say this is new to me. New car/bike does not work flawlessly?

Seems like this new regulations just kill everything!
Although I'm getting a quiet good average mpg according to the trip computer, but I rather say eat more and do a better job for me.

I really don't want to play either with the clutch neither with the rpm.
For goodness sake this is a brand new bike!
It feels like one cylinder does not work 100% or something similar.

For example when I release the gas the engine starts slowing the bike down and then when I start pulling it again it hesitates a bit and jumps a bit, when like the chain is dodgy or something similar feeling. It feels wrong and uncomfortable.

Also I tried to test it on idle speed in gear one and the bike is 100% strong, didn't stopped or hesitated, but when I try to accelerate it does not do it smoothly.

I didn't even tell my wife what's bothering me today and not having proper celebration about myself, cause today is my birthday. So instead of having vodka and etc... I'm thinking of that now how I will survive with this bike in the very next 5 years?! (got it on bank's loan)

Looks like Kawa managed to build the same bike just as Yamaha XT 660 model with injector issue from factory.

Now it's time to have my vodka and cola late night party... :Laughing rolling:(and then have a far cry about this)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sold the bike on Saturday for less than I wanted to. Good luck with yours, I've heard that fitting a Power Commander can help but I wasn't prepared to throw £300+ at the bike anymore.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thanks GR rider!

I'm just confused about this!

Having had a loads of rubbish old cars(behind iron curtain country you repair yourself everything) and dealing with them, I must say this is new to me. New car/bike does not work flawlessly?

Seems like this new regulations just kill everything!
Although I'm getting a quiet good average mpg according to the trip computer, but I rather say eat more and do a better job for me.

I really don't want to play either with the clutch neither with the rpm.
For goodness sake this is a brand new bike!
It feels like one cylinder does not work 100% or something similar.

For example when I release the gas the engine starts slowing the bike down and then when I start pulling it again it hesitates a bit and jumps a bit, when like the chain is dodgy or something similar feeling. It feels wrong and uncomfortable.

Also I tried to test it on idle speed in gear one and the bike is 100% strong, didn't stopped or hesitated, but when I try to accelerate it does not do it smoothly.

I didn't even tell my wife what's bothering me today and not having proper celebration about myself, cause today is my birthday. So instead of having vodka and etc... I'm thinking of that now how I will survive with this bike in the very next 5 years?! (got it on bank's loan)

Looks like Kawa managed to build the same bike just as Yamaha XT 660 model with injector issue from factory.

Now it's time to have my vodka and cola late night party... :Laughing rolling:(and then have a far cry about this)
First of all, happy birthday :cheers:

and I hope that you had a great time :drunk:

After all these negative comments about the fuelling I started paying more attention to the behaviour of my bike especially while riding in the city. I have a TBR slip on exhaust so there is a bit less low down toque and the only similar symptom can be described as "bad bike day", more lazy engine operation in general sometimes, but not something overly frustrating.

I also noticed that when I am switching the bike on and off while doing chores around town the symptom disappears so I would suggest to stop and switch off the engine for about a minute, then turn the key to on, let the needle do its stuff, fire it up again and see if there is any difference.

Also, next month I am going to fit a lambda sensor eliminator which is supposed to work in a loop, sending the same signal to the ECU all the time with no emissions alterations and I will let the forum know about the results.

I guess that if it works and can be fitted to bikes with OEM exhausts it could help you to...

And since you mentioned Yamaha, the FZ6 is probably the worst bike ever in this department. The clutch is s***, the fuelling is even worst and the engine has like 1 horsepower at 8.000rpm and 80 after that. It is impossible to get off the line or ride this bike smoothly. It actually turned a friend of mine off motorcycling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks GR!

I think I found something regarding to my issue.
The throttle cable was on lose, which caused about 1cm gap empty space on it. I adjusted it this morning on the handle bar, but I'll ask them at the first service to do it on the engine properly.(bolts painted) I can't touch that part because of the warranty. (and I don't want to start fixing it either to be honest)

Looks like dealer didn't adjusted this before release, neither at the factory. :eek:

I do hope this was the only issue on my bike!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thanks GR!

I think I found something regarding to my issue.
The throttle cable was on lose, which caused about 1cm gap empty space on it. I adjusted it this morning on the handle bar, but I'll ask them at the first service to do it on the engine properly.(bolts painted) I can't touch that part because of the warranty. (and I don't want to start fixing it either to be honest)

Looks like dealer didn't adjusted this before release, neither at the factory. :eek:

I do hope this was the only issue on my bike!
Sounds like a reasonable cause so I hope your bike will be 100% ok with the cable properly adjusted.

You are right to let an expert fix it too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kawasaki

Recently purchased a second hand 2013 ER6N with 2300mile on the clock.
I then discovered the bike had the same issue as outlined in this thread.
Once the bike reach 3750 miles I decided to take it to Daytona Motorcycles in Ruislip for the service and mention this issue to them. They never heard about such issues – which is weird because the MK1 motorcycle has a known issue.

They loaned me a Versys 2014 which was nice and comfy and decided to see if this bike has issues. Exact same thing. I mentioned the surging on the Versys to them and they dismiss this as my riding and said they could not find anything wrong with my bike.

So not happy with the service or the outcome. I decided to email Kawasaki customer service as I thought the way the Kawasaki dealer handled my issues was appalling and I will not be taking my bike back there.

I also asked them to clarify why my bike surges and they explained that due to EU emissions and noise reduction regulations these bikes run much leaner between the 3-4000 rpm range. Which may cause the bike to surge. I guess we can blame the EU for my bike surging.

The only way around this ‘trait’ as Kawasaki would not say it is a issue is to change the mapping and that would mean a after market part like a Power Commander.

So I have two options – spend money or stay out the 3-4rpm range when riding.

Just thought you would be interested in the outcome.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Recently purchased a second hand 2013 ER6N with 2300mile on the clock.
I then discovered the bike had the same issue as outlined in this thread.
Once the bike reach 3750 miles I decided to take it to Daytona Motorcycles in Ruislip for the service and mention this issue to them. They never heard about such issues – which is weird because the MK1 motorcycle has a known issue.

They loaned me a Versys 2014 which was nice and comfy and decided to see if this bike has issues. Exact same thing. I mentioned the surging on the Versys to them and they dismiss this as my riding and said they could not find anything wrong with my bike.

So not happy with the service or the outcome. I decided to email Kawasaki customer service as I thought the way the Kawasaki dealer handled my issues was appalling and I will not be taking my bike back there.

I also asked them to clarify why my bike surges and they explained that due to EU emissions and noise reduction regulations these bikes run much leaner between the 3-4000 rpm range. Which may cause the bike to surge. I guess we can blame the EU for my bike surging.

The only way around this ‘trait’ as Kawasaki would not say it is a issue is to change the mapping and that would mean a after market part like a Power Commander.

So I have two options – spend money or stay out the 3-4rpm range when riding.

Just thought you would be interested in the outcome.
There might be a cheaper solution to this problem.

Check out the last three pages of this thread:

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-650r-er6/179030-er-6n-pair-valve-de-snorkulation-easy-way-8.html

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
You are the man - thank you! I jave just ordered the part less then £20. Will try it out and report back. You just saved me a load of £££
You are welcome, I am eager to know how these parts are going to work on your bike with the stock exhaust :)

Good luck and keep us posted :cheers-004:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guys

Had the same issue with 2010er6n, leo vince pipe, synced throttle bodies and moved tps about halve a mm counterclockwise, issue solved

61 - 79 of 79 Posts