Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just returned from 3 days of fun at Mugello, Tuscany in Italy with my ZX6R (2003). If you have never heard of Mugello it has the longest main straight in MotoGP; 1300m. Its a fantastic mixture of speed and technical; downhill, uphill, double radius corners, blind crests, it has everything. It has to be the best circuit I have ever ridden.

The event was with Speer Racing, a german outfit. It was very well organised and they were a friendly bunch. The first two days are grouped practice (you rent the transponder) with the third day being race day. Unfortunately for me, this event was mainly ducati, so they had 3 seperate races for the V2's with only a single race for 4 cylinder bikes (which meant 1000, 750 and 600's mixed together).

So, my bike is a 2003 ZX6R. I have an ohlins rear, new front springs, a steering damper and akrapovic end can (no power commander). I left the orginal bodywork, lights etc on the bike (I will work on the bike over winter).

So, how did it go? Bloody great! The bike simply amazes me with its speed. I saw once (I know I should not be looking :D) 289kph on the clocks at the end of the main straight, where you have to brake to 90kph for an uphill right hander. I admit I braked at 160m and _almost_ overshot [:p] Is this crazy speed or what! I don't know if my bike is especially loose but bloody hell...R6s and GSXR600s were eaten. Also GSXR750's under braking. Only R1s etc drew out 50ms (not that much). I have to say though that I feel very good on this bike.

And the race? 3rd in class with a best lap of 2.10 (the winner in my class did 2.08). Overall in the race I finished 22nd out of 41. Considering that I have done little to the bike I am very happy. I also discovered that pirelli supercorsa tires have a level of grip beyond what I believed. Let me explain; you can push them in braking/entry to slide, move around _lots_ yet they still work very well. Slicks do not give you this warning.

So, my recommendation? Go to mugello at all costs!

Paul.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW 289 was around 15100rpm([:0]) from the glance I saw.

BTW2 Ducati's cost so much for not so much go. I used to have an Aprilia mille r and thought that was good, but the 6 is almost there in terms of lap times (and I am still adapting to it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.