Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to site and proud owner a my first motorcycle! Since i'm just getting into riding and i feel the bike has enough power for me to have my fun. I'm curious on some products that will make it handle better. Right now i'm only going off of what ad's i see in mag's. Any idea's what i should go for?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i changed the front fork oil from a 10w to a 5w oil , this was recommended to me by K-tec suspension in the UK , you will need to make some adjustments to your rebound and compression to compensate but it takes the harsh edge out of the front end. its great for the road now.
The rear - get a spring to match your weight, its a great excuse to get out of carrying a pillion and it saves bruising around the "crown jewels" ,improves the drive and feedback on the road.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Buy gear before you mod.

Take the bike to a shop that knows how to setup suspensions and have them dial it in for you and be done with it for now.

Take the money you would have spent on upgraded suspension parts and buy all the gear you dont have. 1pc or 2pc leather suit, proper riding boots, good gloves, various armor peices like a back protector.

Then take the bike to a track and learn what it can actually do.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
maby you should get the suspension tuned before you decide to mod or anything else.

and i agree with the guy who says buy gear before mods. its the smart thing to do.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
as what was stated above, find a shop or someone with suspension experience...or buy a manual from traxxion dynamics they have them on ebay..supension for mortals

Next since you are a new rider, get some real protective clothing, not that bullshit mesh stuff either, and stay away from joe rocket/icon & the low end brands..just do some research on the topic..Get some good riding boots and gloves PM me for some info if you like

Also any riding schools will help you out BIGTIME and are well worth the money...
the only thing i would recommend for you if you want to buy something is a steering damper...just depends on your preferance on which you buy they all work great...rotary are cheaper...
Hyper-pro works great costs a little more, and i prefer this style personally i have it on my zx6R and love it...

after you get serious i would do a ohlins or elka rear shock set-up for you

forks depending on your $$$$$ either traxxion fork cartridge or an ohlins set and you will be done...

Right now these will be more then you can use, but will help with your confidence guaranteed.
Just take it easy out there and be patient as we want you to be alive & enjoying yourself..
This bike has balls and you need to respect her...have fun and good luck out there...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with all the previous posters. Definitely get the gear 1st. Get the suspension dialed in for your weight before you replace anything. final tip would be the steering damper...the front end of the 636 seems "light" to me, even after 10 yrs of riding.

a proper steering damper, while no replacement for skill, definitely takes some of the head shake off at high speeds and gives confidence to newb counter-steering.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gear is my first priority, i ordered my helmet a few days ago an icon "mainframe bling" as for a jacket i'm looking at the tour master mesh "cortech gx air jacket" only i'm not sure on if it's good or not. Boots and gloves will come when i head to a local shop that carrys them maybe even the jacket. I'll feel better if i can try those items on first.

I never thought about adjusting the bike to my weight,so i'll be sure to talk about that with shop when i get there. So far the bike came with an FMF titanium exhaust,front steel braided brake lines, k&n intake, double bubble sheild, and other cosmetic enhancements. I was looking at the steering dampner "hyper pro" and a "scotts steering stabalizer" before, thats what sparked my curiosity. But i'll hold off untill i get my full gear and bike adjusted.

For the few times i took this bike down back streets,I'm glad i bought this bike now that i have some years under my belt and good judgment.Also i'm glad i took the riding school! I feel more confident with knowing what to do in situations. But it's a shame that i only have straight streets down here, i'm not into going crazy fast. I got that out of my system with my old stang. I'm more into the curve's. Just wish there was a track around here i could use and practice on.

Thanks for all your help here! I'm glad i found a site to come to with my questions. I'll post pic's soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.