Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much experience is ideal before entering the level I-II courses? i've got about 2yrs/6k miles and honestly i don't consider myself to be that well at taking turns even though i have no chicken strips on the back

·
Registered
659 Posts
That is the ideal amount of experience. You don't have to be the best rider to attend a school. The whole point behind the school is to help you become a more confident and competent rider. And I must admit, Superbike school is one of the best programs in the country. Just go for it and I guarantee you will be satisfied with the experience!

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
I agree. I've heard nothing but great things about them. I'm waiting for the next years schedule to come out, I want to tame the corkscrew at laguna!

strat

·
Premium Member
5,831 Posts
I had a blast and I'd love to be able to do it again. I learned so much and the people (riders and instructors) were all great people.

You sound like you have both the right amount of experience and the right kind of attitude to be taking the course. It was the over confident people that ended up crashing and taking time away from riding. Just go in there with an open mind (which it sounds like you already have) and you will learn a lot of very valuable information.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome. where do students normally stay if they are coming out of state to where the current track session is held? do people vacation at the same time if u extend past your session schedule?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
disounts for track riders sounds very good. what becomes of the situation when you sign up to use their bikes and you end up crashing?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Originally posted by ninja_s
disounts for track riders sounds very good. what becomes of the situation when you sign up to use their bikes and you end up crashing?
I'm a coach at the California Superbike School. If you crash one of our bikes this is what happens:

You put down a $750 damage deposit which is returned if you don't damage the bike. The most you are liable for is that $750, so if the bike happened to burn to the ground you are only out $750 at the most.

If there is slight damage, such as a minor lowside, you get charged 10% BELOW dealer's cost for the parts and NO LABOR. Aftermarket plastic is used, so a full fairing replacement costs only about $200. And if it can be repaired (filled, sanded and repainted) the cost is less.

We average 1.5 crashes per 100 riders. Of those crashes, better than half are from a guy running off track and tipping over in the grass at very low speeds.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds well worth the price of admission. so to say that if u do crash rendering the bike in-operable, can u immediately put down another deposit and start riding again? - with the exception of your helmet and gear still able to protect u

·
Registered
355 Posts
Originally posted by ninja_s
sounds well worth the price of admission. so to say that if u do crash rendering the bike in-operable, can u immediately put down another deposit and start riding again? - with the exception of your helmet and gear still able to protect u
Riders usually are let back on track with a new deposit. The exception being if they are not fit to ride (too spooked or sore or just too squidley). Our course contol interviews the rider and makes the call.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey Dylan when are you guys going to release the 2007 schedule?

·
Registered
355 Posts
The '07 schedule is about 80% finalized. We will have it all done in the next 4 weeks or so. If you are on the e-mail list, you will get it sent to you the moment it is finalized.

We ran 82 school days in 2006, up from 62 in 2005. We will probably have another 80 or so days in the U.S. for 2007.

By the way, I'm going to Welkom in South Africa and the Dubai Autodrome in mid november to do some coaching for our European branch. Poor me!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cool, levels 3 & 4 here I come!!!

By the way if you need any help I could be persuaded to clear my schedule and join you. :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
Originally posted by 6RracerMP
Hey Dylan, you going to be at Infineon Dec 4th-5th? I have my tryout to become an instructor one of those days.
Yes, I'll be there. I'll probably be doing techincal briefings on those days along with Keith.

Because we have expanded our yearly schedule so much, we are always looking for more instructors so it will be good to have you come try out. See you there!

Dylan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.