Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of supercorsa pros for my trackday and race yesterday, and was wondering how many track days I can expect them to be good for. I'm a mid to fast intermediate rider and I DON'T have tire warmers. I plan on running them on the street when they've outlived their track life as well. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
277 Posts
depends on alot of things.. your weight, your aggressiveness, bike power... number of heat cycles... i get about 5-12 full track days with riding A and coaching .. my bf gets about 6-8 track days or 1 race weekend on them

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm 155lbs and generally not super hard on the gas coming out of turns. Bike is a 636. And I guess maybe 7-8 heat cycles a track day one for each session? Just looking for a ball park figure because I've never run race tires at all before. I've only run PP's and DC3's before.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I can't speak for how the heat cycles will negatively affect you B/C I use warmers but.

I get 4 coaching days and maybe 1 race out of a rear and I can get 12 days or more out of the front.

I would NOT run them on the street, yea they are DOT legal but they are race tires and you will never even get close to getting them up to proper temp on the street. In fact if you are a mid intermediate group rider, you are probably not getting them up to full temp on the track either.
JMHO, YMMV

·
Registered
277 Posts
just checked on some we took off this weekend.. the cords were showing.. the SC's dont have too dramatic a drop in performance when they are kicked.. they will slide around quite a bit when they are close, but its controllable.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
**trackdaze**
Heatcycle's aren't a factor with tire warmers?? Everytime you heat and cool your tire it changes the chemical composition and over time it is no longer the optimal composition that the manufacturer intended. Warmers or no warmers heatcycles are a factor.

I wouldn't worry about heatcycles unless you are a REALLY fast track day rider and is all about the lap times or a REALLY fast racer and must perform at the top everytime. I ran the same tires on the street with no problems. People say you will never get them up to track temp which is true but on the road I never ask for the same performance that I do at the track and it is easy to heat them up more then enough for aggressive street riding(after some normal riding put your tires at 29f/30r psi). I have also gotten caught on the track racing in the rain on supercorsa pros. They are great straight up and down braking and accelerating on my 600 but just be easy and smooth and extra smooth cornering. They aren't the best rain tires but I have had no trouble on the street in the rain. My wife runs my scrubs on her RSV1000 on the street also with no problems.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't speak for how the heat cycles will negatively affect you B/C I use warmers but.

I get 4 coaching days and maybe 1 race out of a rear and I can get 12 days or more out of the front.

I would NOT run them on the street, yea they are DOT legal but they are race tires and you will never even get close to getting them up to proper temp on the street. In fact if you are a mid intermediate group rider, you are probably not getting them up to full temp on the track either.
JMHO, YMMV
You'll have to follow me on my next track day then and let me know. I think I'm on the faster end the red group though. I do a lot of passing and don't get passed that often, so whatever that means. I guess. I'll be back at njmp on the 4th let me know if you'll be there.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
you sound about like me...but I weigh 20# more. 6 days minimum....if you take care of them with proper pressure and suspension set up....I totally chewed a rear up with wrong pressures and they still went 1000ish track miles and 800 street miles...and all our tracks here are right turn biased so the rear was cupped on the right side...the front was still good, and I sold the pair on here for like $40. I flipped the rear this time around to balance the wear more.

They will "talk to you"...at least mine did....you'll notice they take a little longer to warm up as they get older...but their ultimate grip is just silly good, even when old.

·
Registered
885 Posts
**trackdaze**
Heatcycle's aren't a factor with tire warmers?? Everytime you heat and cool your tire it changes the chemical composition and over time it is no longer the optimal composition that the manufacturer intended. Warmers or no warmers heatcycles are a factor.

I am not sure if that is a question or a statement although I am also not sure how it pertains to what I posted either.

He stated he does not use warmers, so he goes through 6 or 7 heat cycles per trackday. I use warmers so I go through 1 heat cycle per trackday.

If they work for you on the street, goodonya.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I WISH I could get that many track days out off my tires. I just put a set of Supercorsa's on and will be happy with 3 track days out of them. I pulled off a set of Pilot Race M compound and the rear was toast after 3 track days. I have a set of slicks I was thinking about throwing on next...

·
Registered
885 Posts
I WISH I could get that many track days out off my tires. I just put a set of Supercorsa's on and will be happy with 3 track days out of them. I pulled off a set of Pilot Race M compound and the rear was toast after 3 track days. I have a set of slicks I was thinking about throwing on next...
What displacement bike? if it is a 600 then you are probably having suspension and/or pressure/temperature issues.

Poor suspension settings will increase tire wear by as much as 50% and tire that is under pressurized (overheats) and has hot tear can be destroyed in 10 laps.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Hey JCP636, the tire comes standard on the 1098 and i find it to be an awesome street tire as long as it not wet out.
On track it stuck and did everything you could ask of it as well, mine took a full day at FUSA pretty well, after already having 600miles on it-break in.
at 2000 miles it is pretty much shot, but f course i am way bigger than you and the torque of the 1098 and hard throttle use will wear any tire down pretty quick.

i would say you should be good for at least 4-6 trackdays with them on your 636 if you watch the air pressure.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I am not sure if that is a question or a statement although I am also not sure how it pertains to what I posted either.

He stated he does not use warmers, so he goes through 6 or 7 heat cycles per trackday. I use warmers so I go through 1 heat cycle per trackday.
Your post had made it sound like you didn't have to worry about heat cycles due to you using tire warmers but you obvously do understand that it does effect you. Also using warmers and "cooking" tires will cause them to change the rubber composition faster then slow riders running no warmers.

I run thru a set of tires in 1 weekend of racing on my 600. It all comes down to the pace you are running(If your bike is setup correctly). The fast guys that I race against that run AMA go thru tires like you wouldn't believe.

Here is some info on reading your tire http://www.feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html

·
Registered
885 Posts
Your post had made it sound like you didn't have to worry about heat cycles due to you using tire warmers but you obvously do understand that it does effect you. Also using warmers and "cooking" tires will cause them to change the rubber composition faster then slow riders running no warmers.

I run thru a set of tires in 1 weekend of racing on my 600. It all comes down to the pace you are running(If your bike is setup correctly). The fast guys that I race against that run AMA go thru tires like you wouldn't believe.

Here is some info on reading your tire http://www.feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html
I knew we were just having one of those I-net misunderstandings. I am a big fan of Dave Moss' and have learned so much about suspension and tire reading from him.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. The wear looks pretty good on them so far. I'll probably do 2-3 more trackdays this season and then I'll relegate them to street use until next season.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just look at the tires. You should be able to tell. Back up from the bike from behind it when it's on a stand. Look at the profile (the shape from side to side). If it is getting lop-sided, flip it. If the wear bars are starting to show on the right, flip it..
We pull tires out of the "trash pile" at track days all the time... made it a complete season last year without buying ANY brand new tires... people take them off wayy before they need to. Yeah, fresh tires may be good for racing, but at a track day - you're not winning anything so the time and the learning experience you get on shagged tires is almost more valuable.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Just look at the tires. You should be able to tell. Back up from the bike from behind it when it's on a stand. Look at the profile (the shape from side to side). If it is getting lop-sided, flip it. If the wear bars are starting to show on the right, flip it..
We pull tires out of the "trash pile" at track days all the time... made it a complete season last year without buying ANY brand new tires... people take them off wayy before they need to. Yeah, fresh tires may be good for racing, but at a track day - you're not winning anything so the time and the learning experience you get on shagged tires is almost more valuable.
My kinda rider!! I did the same thing when they were available to me.

--David

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm with ya Katie, but I am talking more about reading tires to determine proper suspension settings not whether a tire is done or not.

I read my tires throughout every day, literally after every session. Now granted tire reading and suspension is something I have great interest in, almost like a hobby within a hobby.

·
Registered
277 Posts
yeah i hear ya.... luckily, even on the bone stock 07 r6 suspension I have, i never get anything more than cold tear... i have changed the suspension up quite a bit but the tires never reflect anything bad is going on - I raised the rear to get more of a controllable turn in.. I do spin up the rear exiting a bit, but the tires never wear poorly... might have alot to do with the fact that im 125 lbs

·
Registered
186 Posts
What displacement bike? if it is a 600 then you are probably having suspension and/or pressure/temperature issues.

Poor suspension settings will increase tire wear by as much as 50% and tire that is under pressurized (overheats) and has hot tear can be destroyed in 10 laps.

06 636. I know I need to do springs for the front, but otherwise is as dialed in as possible. Suspension is the next thing being addressed on this bike, but my tires show no bad suspension characteristcs. I run recommended pressures in my tires.

I tend to go in deep on brakes and trail brake like a mofo and early on the throttle. I have always been hard on tires due to my riding style and have not figured out yet how to change that except to back off and be a bit smoother. Even at the Code school they told me I was just an extemely aggresive rider in most every way imaginable, and that my style of riding tends to be very hard on tires. Keith told me that he would have a hard time recommending that I change anything. I have had what? 4 or 5 track bikes and the SV 650 was about the easiest on tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts