Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the local dealership i go to I was talking with one of the guys there and told him that i bought a 636. He said i should have bought a 450 supermoto bike. When i asked why he said because it would walk a way from a 636 in a 1/4 mile. I thought that was the funniest thing I had ever heard. Just thought I would share that with you guys.

·
Registered
370 Posts
actually i dont doubt supermotards will hand our asses to us the first 100-150meters..those things got mad torque...but after that...pulverise them...overall we got them on the 1/4 easy

·
Registered
94 Posts
I managed in only my second pass down the strip to do an 11.14 @ 130. As much fun as the 450's are I don't think they can hang in a straight line for a 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Originally posted by urymoto
actually i dont doubt supermotards will hand our asses to us the first 100-150meters..those things got mad torque...but after that...pulverise them...overall we got them on the 1/4 easy
The 600/636 have more torque, on the dyno and at the wheels. Remember, no matter what the torque is at the engine, whichever bike is making more hp at any given speed will accelerate faster. Peak acceleration in each gear will be at peak torque, but peak acceleration at any given speed will be at peak power.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Originally posted by 04GTMustang
At the local dealership i go to I was talking with one of the guys there and told him that i bought a 636. He said i should have bought a 450 supermoto bike. When i asked why he said because it would walk a way from a 636 in a 1/4 mile. I thought that was the funniest thing I had ever heard. Just thought I would share that with you guys.
I don't get what's so funny. It's true. Go race him so he can show you up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was at Spokane raceway this weekend and there were two guys with supermoto bikes on the track riding with the beginner class and they we getting stomped on by all the 600's, however they sure look liked they were having fun in the corners.

If I had a drz-400 supermoto I would end up in jail for sure.

·
Registered
370 Posts
[:Agree]

a supermotard bike is made for insance hooligan like behavior....the kind that makes you decide that it would be nice to ride through central park, or do burnoiuts on somebodys lawn...i absolutely love them, wish i had one...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i agree they may get us within the first few hundred feet but after that i dont think they are going to hang. And yes urymoto it would be sweet to have one to play around on cause they are light like a dirtbike and have a bunch of torque. mayb 1/8th mile it would give sort of run for 636s money but still i think 1/8th mile it would still lose. I know this isnt a 450 but at my local 1/8th mile track someone had a kx250 out there with a slick in the back and couldnt do better than an 8.8 at 74 or something like that and i know that the supermotos are not well over a second faster in the 1/8th mile than that 250.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just looked up supermoto bikes and ktm puts out a 950 supermoto and it only makes 89 hp at 8500rpm the thing that helps it is it weighs 149kg. Its power to weight is very close to ours but that is also a 950 which is quite a bit bigger than a 450. I do agree though that it would be very close but i was just surprised that the guy brought that up because its like comparing apples to oranges. They are two completely different machines made for 2 completely different styles of racing.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
^^ That's great. Call Rich Christensen, he'd love to see this episode.

--David

·
Registered
206 Posts
http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/'06_450hp.jpg

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0607_01_z+600cc_shootout+dynochart_horsepower.jpg

As you can see, even off the line, the 600s average about 50% more power. Plus they have higher RPM limits meaning they can be geared shorter. No way a 450 pulls off the line on a 600 unless the 600s rider weighs 300 pounds.

I'd rather have the 450, but I don't really care about insane acceleration since I can't really use it on the road here anyway. I also prefer the upright seating, light weight, and ability to take it off-road.

But lets not kid ourselves about which is faster. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.