Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first post so take it easy on me :D

OK, I have a ZX-6R J2 which over the past few days has developed a strange smell when stationary, after giving the exhaust a good look over for something burning I discovered the LH engine cover is very hot, engine temp is fine and rest of engine feels OK.

I am tipping at this stage that maybe the regulator has died and driving the alternator flat out, all the lights etc appear to be normal and not any brighter than usual, will check the voltage across the battery though. Any ideas ? (I understand you need 4,000rpm to check the charging voltage ?)

The bike has gone out of warranty as of December, hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come, has done only 9,000kms (5,600miles) in 2 years :(

Bone stock ZX-6R J2

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dont have the specs, but, you can check the regulator with a voltmeter. Start by checking for resistance between each of the yellow wires vs. the black . This will tell if the regulator is bad. Being new to Kawi the wire colors may be different . I have never heard of this type of failure on any bike , the alternator that is - F2s regulators went out all the time , . Is this a common thing with these bikes ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have done some checking with the multimeter, batt is sitting 12.5V when off and 14.3 when running, also checked the stator windings and all appears OK.

Maybe I am just paranoid due to the warranty running out, will see how it goes :)

Bone stock ZX-6R J2

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.