Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 09 Ninja 250 race bike.

I was wondering the forks setup on the front..should the forks be flush with the triple clamp?
The rear shock what should the ideal length be?

I'm running Michelin tires. 110 front and 150 rear
So the rear end is already slightly higher then stock already.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
are you on stock suspension?

if so maybe this can help...

Front Fork Installation (each fork leg)
•Insert the fork leg until the inner tube top hit the handlebar
holder lightly, that is, the distance between the inner tube
top [A] and the steering stem head surface is approximate
12 mm (0.47 in.) [C].

Spring Preload Adjustment

•The spring preload can be left soft for average riding. But
it should be adjusted harder for high speed riding or riding
with a passenger. If the spring action feels too soft or too
stiff, adjust it in accordance with the following table.

Adjuster Position....Spring Force....Setting....Load....Road....Speed
1...........................Weak............. Soft....... Light... Good....Low
.................................................................................
.................................................................................
5...........................Strong............Hard.......Heavy....Bad......High

•The standard adjuster setting for an average build rider of
68 kg (150 lb) with no passenger and no accessories is 1
step.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
are you on stock suspension?

if so maybe this can help...

Front Fork Installation (each fork leg)
•Insert the fork leg until the inner tube top hit the handlebar
holder lightly, that is, the distance between the inner tube
top [A] and the steering stem head surface is approximate
12 mm (0.47 in.) [C].

•The spring preload can be left soft for average riding. But
it should be adjusted harder for high speed riding or riding
with a passenger. If the spring action feels too soft or too
stiff, adjust it in accordance with the following table.

Adjuster Position....Spring Force....Setting....Load....Road....Speed
1...........................Weak............. Soft....... Light... Good....Low
5...........................Strong............Hard.......Heavy....Bad......High

•The standard adjuster setting for an average build rider of
68 kg (150 lb) with no passenger and no accessories is 1
step.

So, my wife is 4'-11" just north of 100 lbs. (115 lbs) if I'm reading the above correctly I should set preload to (#1) correct? We have also lowered the bike 1" front and back (or will be very soon) and she is a beginner, less the 100 miles so far had taken the MSF just prior to winter (Passed) and she will do it again in the spring... I ride her bike a little here and there and am 150lbs. (i normally ride my 650R)

Thanks; Ramon

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Doesn't look that that information comes from the manual. At least I hope it didn't.

Stock setting for the front forks is flush. The posted setting steepens the head angle ans sharpens the steering. You may like it like that.

For the rear pre-load, set it so that the the suspension deflects to take up 1/3 of the shock damper travel with the riding load (rider + any passenger and luggage) on the bike. The idea is to set the shock in the correct part of its operating range. A rule of thumb is about a 1" defelection of the swinging arm measured at the axle.

For faster riding, fit a stiffer spring if you really need to. Don't use the pre-load or you'll have the shock topping out over pot holes and possibly pattering causing the tyre to lose grip over small bumps. Altering the pre-load doesn't make the spring stiffer.

For your wife, rear pre-load of 1 or 2 is probably about right, but measure the sag, don't guess. With enough skill and confidence she won't need the bike lowered. All she needs to be able to do is get the ball of one foot on the ground, with the bike leaning if necessary. If you ever need to get both feet down you're not riding properly. The exception is if you need to push the bike backwards. Then you get off and wheel it.

Rob

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
For ride height info, you might try the WERA BBS at forums.13x.com

There's a good community of 250 racers there that would be able to answer your setup questions for ride height front and rear. As for suspension settings, your best bet is getting with a good tuner at the track.

Most of the people around here are street riders, so you'll probably get info like you've got so far on stock settings and such, which isn't as helpful as real input from people who race the 250.

For some basic setup info you can check out Dave Moss' videos on setting sag, rebound, etc. Again, you'll get the most out of your suspension by having it tuned by a professional trackside.

Here's a link to the big 250 thread on the WERA BBS. Probably some good info in there if you take the time to read through it. Also a good place to ask questions.

EX250/250R Racing Everything you need to know - 13x Forums

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
:rolleyes:

It came from the manual :angry7:
God help us.

Regarding Chuckbear's post - I though the OP wanted to set up an ex race bike for his wife to ride street. If I got this right he doesn't want a load of advice on how to set it up for the track.

Rob

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
God help us.

Regarding Chuckbear's post - I though the OP wanted to set up an ex race bike for his wife to ride street. If I got this right he doesn't want a load of advice on how to set it up for the track.

Rob
Madchild the OP was asking about the fork setup :rolleyes:

Demonrider was asking about preload...(for his wife)

read slower.....:Laughing rolling:

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
God help us.

Rob
I got the impression OP was asking about setting a 250 up to race, but that was 6 months ago.

The fourth poster was asking for setup for his wife.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts