Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, dont flame guys, been riding for alot of years, recently purchased a 08 ZX6R. I have 1500miles on it already. But for some reason I noticed the suspension is very stiff. I live in NY and ride to the city alot. I noticed that on the highway (GCP or LIE for the people that know) going over some bumps especially when theres a overpass and theres those cracks that they fill in. It feels like a ramp. Some of those bumps actually launch me. Now i might be only cruising at speed around 70-80mph. I never adjusted the suspension for my weight yet. Would it be better after i adjust it or its just how the bike is. thanks:)

·
Registered
626 Posts
theyre set up stiff for track use. im 220 lbs and i find it stiff! but i like it...when hitting the highway it feels just fine IMO, but on regular roads yes it can be a bit bumpy.
setting up the suspension for your weight might help, but itll still be stiff i think.

my advice though, and it may be wrong so take it for what its worth (nothing i guess? LOL) when im on a road that i know has some nice bumps that jostle me a good bit (theres a lot in mississippi) i just rise off the seat a tad, probably not even an inch, and use my legs as shock absorbers, just as i did on my KX125.

maybe its not "correct" riding, but it helps. only do it as conditions allow though. when i do it im going straight, and only if i cant ride around the bump (some are not the full width of the road...might be in the middle, or off to one side of the lane).

coming up to a bridge or something is a good example though. they dont always have the smoothest transisions from the road to the bridge. if youre going at say 30-35 MPH just raise off the seat a tad, soak up the bump, and put your butt back down.

i guess im just reverting back to habits from MXing...not really bad considering if theres an obstruction in the road i need to ride over i can use the experience to my advantage! LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.