Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those with more knowledgable than me, please comment on this, I dont race on tracks but have put over 155,000 miles on motorcyles, rode full time for 3 years of 9. Would like to know comments about this from knowledgable suspension riders.

After screwing around with the suspension countless hours and days, adding washers to rear and basically changing the geometry throughout the countless hours of the night, I found raising the rear by 6mm at the shock adding another spacer to the existing spacer, and raising the front 3-4 mm via the forks has made an enormous diff in handling and cornering accordingly.

I way about 210lbs and have set my sag and tweeked the suspension but found the bike not up to par in handling, this is my 7th sportbike, have had 3 zx6r's, 2 gsxr, 1 cbr and my first was a 250r ninja. I tried all different set ups on my current bike, (raised rear 3mm left front stock), (raised 5mm left front stock), (raised front and rear equally) blah blah blah etc.

I found by adding 6mm in the rear and raisng the front about half the distance to suit the bike the best, lastly if you have lowered your bike with lowering links this is not for you, it will raise the bike up more, also the bike leans the way it should now with the stock kickstand.

In addition, I didn’t buy shims, I made my own spacers, just like the stock one our bikes have now, which are 6mm. I didn’t post pics because there is not much to see except the bike is higher, its somewhat a pain in the ass to remove the shock from the rear but I've done it so many times it takes me about 12-15 min, the biggest pain in the ass is to take the cotter pin out, because there's so little access to it.

Please respond if anyone has changed the geometry alittle.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I don't have the balls to mess with the geometry on my bikes...my bikes feel good except the 6r which I still can't get the front to give me good feedback.

Nice pic btw.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pic is the wife

Attachments

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Very nice

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics of spacers used and overall look, its not very noticeable because the bike is raised in front as well. Very Noticable when you sit on it and ride it, it seems to corner and exit much better, also seems more fun to drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Stock Suspension?

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=114979
Spring Tension Front
Since a spring becomes shorter as it weakens, check its free length to determine its condition.
If the spring of either fork leg is shorter than the service limit, it must be replaced.
If the length of the replacement spring and that of the remaining spring very greatly, the remaining spring should also be replaced in order to keep the fork legs balanced and motorcycle stability.

Front Spring Free length
Standard 257mm (10.1 in.)
Service limit 252mm (9.92 in.)

Rear Spring Pre-Load Settings
Standard: Spring Length 180 mm (7.09 in.)
Usable Range Spring length 175-185mm (6.89-7.28 in.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stock Suspension?

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=114979
Spring Tension Front
Since a spring becomes shorter as it weakens, check its free length to determine its condition.
If the spring of either fork leg is shorter than the service limit, it must be replaced.
If the length of the replacement spring and that of the remaining spring very greatly, the remaining spring should also be replaced in order to keep the fork legs balanced and motorcycle stability.

Front Spring Free length
Standard 257mm (10.1 in.)
Service limit 252mm (9.92 in.)

Rear Spring Pre-Load Settings
Standard: Spring Length 180 mm (7.09 in.)
Usable Range Spring length 175-185mm (6.89-7.28 in.)

This has nothing to do with the length of the spring,preload, or high/low compression, did you read my 1st post?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Actaully you're wrong bro...when you increase the preload, you increase the ride ride. So if you did mess around with that after making any geometry changes then you really wouldn't know if it was the spacers or the preload. Make sure you're making one change at a time. And if your spring was at its service limit already I'd be going to the dealer...I really would have to disagree with blackdog on that one. There's a method to troubleshooting a bike...and that would be way down on the order.

So what are you trying to make this thing do? How do you want it to handle? What is it doing or was it doing that you didn't like?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Actaully you're wrong bro...when you increase the preload, you increase the ride ride. So if you did mess around with that after making any geometry changes then you really wouldn't know if it was the spacers or the preload. Make sure you're making one change at a time. And if your spring was at its service limit already I'd be going to the dealer...I really would have to disagree with blackdog on that one. There's a method to troubleshooting a bike...and that would be way down on the order.

So what are you trying to make this thing do? How do you want it to handle? What is it doing or was it doing that you didn't like?
Adding spacers doesnt change the preload on the rear spring it only raised or lowers the entire shock, which in turn raises or lowers the rear. My spring preload is still stock which is perfect for my weight, the front is a different story.
My sag is set for front and back, the spacer is not going to affect the suspension, just the geometry of the bike.

I was unhappy with the way the bike handled compared to my previous bikes, I just wanted feedback from people who have done likewise adding spacers or doubling the rear which is common in racing and aftermarket suspensions, the washers are the same principle as using shims.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
Have you considered getting the forks revalved or resprung for your weight? You are about 60 pounds heavier than what the engineers intended

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you considered getting the forks revalved or resprung for your weight? You are about 60 pounds heavier than what the engineers intended
Though the rear is perfect for my weight, yes the front sucks for me, I have the front preload maxed out and it seems to be ok, a little stiff but do able.

My questions on this thread are not about suspension settings but the geometry of the bike, meaning raising and inserting/adding spacers to the existing 6mm spacer our bikes come with into the rear shock absorber bracket.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
The bike definitely improved its handling, but how much of that was due to a well-tuned suspension and how much to the slightly tweaked chassis geometry is virtually impossible to definitively ascertain.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4177

We make motorcycling more fun, by unlocking the hidden potential in your motorcycle chassis. We identify correct geometry and suspension setup and rectify frame and suspension misalignment.
http://www.gmd-computrack.com/index.php

"Martinez then consulted Eric Gray, of G.M.D. Computrack -- Ft. Lauderdale, who improved Martinez's suspension performance and comfort level with some relatively minor changes."
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=32982
G M D Computrack FT Lauderdale
541 South Dixie Highway East
Pompano Beach, FL 33060
phone: (954)786-2875

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.