Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I'm thinking about upgrading my suspension in the near future. I'm choosing between getting an Ohlins shock, or getting Race Tech (or some other company) to replace the valves and springs on my forks and shock.

Which do you think would be better for a 636, and why? Pls. note that I'm still a newbie (getting only about 2:24 on the California Speedway AMA track [:I] -- I do plan to sign up with STAR school in November). (If it's of any relevance, I weigh around 160 lbs naked, and the only "performance" mod to my bike is the Scotts steering damper)

FYI, the cost is similar:
Ohlins shock @ Dan Kyle = 929

Race tech total = 935
Race Tech shock customization = 380
100 labor, 160 gold valve kit, 120 springs
Race Tech fork customization = 555
135 labor, 160 gold valve kit, 150 fork rebound gold valve, 110 springs

Thanks in advance! (And if Race Tech is not the way to go, let me know, thanks!)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I cannot recommend Race Tech. They worked on the forks on my old bike, and they were harsher over bumps after the work.

The Ohlins shock gives much better feel and bump absorption than the stock shock. I do not suggest working on the stock shock. You can ride the better Ohlins shock and then sell it, spending little more than you would for shock work.

For less coin, you can also have Ohlins valving installed in the forks. But at 160 lb (we weigh the same), the Ohlins shock made a bigger difference than the fork work.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
If you're gonna get an Ohlins give my man Dan at www.kyleusa.com a shout and he'll put the proper spring on that shock without charging you extra. Nevermind the fact that he's got some of the best prices around, I'd pay a few extra bucks for the service any day, but Dan does both - fair prices and GREAT service.

In regards to revalving, you'd probably be pretty happy with that too, but I'd stay away from Racetech valve kits as they're junk, again Dan Kyle can get you sorted on that stock rear shock, there's also other companies out there that'll help get you sorted too. I recommend Traxxion Dynamics or Lindemann Engineering for a revalve job. Hell, for $30 I'll sell you my old shock so you have another one to play with should you not like how things turn out.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by Strong Bad

again Dan Kyle can get you sorted on that stock rear shock, there's also other companies out there that'll help get you sorted too. I recommend Traxxion Dynamics or Lindemann Engineering for a revalve job.
Neither Kyle Racing nor Traxxion Dynamics suggest revalving the stock shock. They recommend replacing it with an aftermarket unit.

For Dan's take, check out this thread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all,

I have both an ohlins rear shock and front fork springs (with oil) on my 2003 6R. The shock is worth the investment in my opinion, it removes alot of the wooden feeling from the original, and obviously works very well on the track. One word of advice though, be sure to match the spring with your weight. The original spring (10kg) is made for a person that weighs 85 kgs. As I weigh 65kgs I tried it and it was too stiff, so I have now a 9kg spring which is perfect.

As for the front springs (90 not 95) and oil, these have helped, but the fork action is still not perfect. I used ohlins 5 weight oil and it also helped remove most of the over damping on the compression side. I must say though that the ideal solution would probably be to have them re-valved as well.

Overall, given I ride on the street and track, I feel I have a decent compromise. The bike is probably softer sprung than original, but with a lot greater level of damping control.

Paul.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A few weeks ago (about 1500 miles), I had a Penski Model 8987 Shock put on my 636, Geometry optimized and Forks re-valved by G.M.D. Computrack out of Atlanta.

I was amazed at how much smoother the ride is and how much faster I can flick thru the mountain rd twisties. It seems like I'm not riding as hard and I'm going quite a bit faster. I cut 30 seconds of my time thru Deal's Gap and didn't ride as hard as I have before.

I'm going to VIR next Monday for a track day. That will be the real test.

I would definitely recommend getting some suspension work done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To Strong Bad > no, I have not removed them. Does this help as well?

I must say that here in Switzerland there arn't that many bike shops that offer suspension work. I have found one dealer in the north that offers Taxxion Dynamics re-valving and thats about it. The ohlins shock and springs were fitted by me and a mechanic friend of mine.m The alternative is to drop into italy, but then we are talking weeks to get work done in the summer months.

Paul.

PS Anyone missing gears? The gearbox on my bike is not the best, sometimes grabs a false neutral, other times you have to 'bang' the gears in.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I don't know if it helps, but I've been told by more than one person the bump stops aren't "useless." I haven't done a back to back comparison so I can't say.

As for missing gears, I had that problem initially, but once I got a few miles on it and put synthetic oil in the motor, it wasn't a problem anymore.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Yeah, Strong's right. Miles, synthetic oil, and a firm accurate shift are the key. I basically never miss shifts anymore. The biggest key was the synthetic oil... HUGE difference.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mr. Kyle and Traxxion Dynamics together bat 1.000, in my modest experience with their respective services on several motorcycles.

I noticed last fall replacing the awful stock shock on my RSV Mille with a Traxxion Penske 89xx solved one major problem, while creating another. The rear end worked like magic, once I set static sag and adjusted rebound. The stock Showa forks, while decent, suddenly became the limiting factor!

Point is, I'd not do the job on the '03 piecemeal. I'm probably too heavy for the stock rear shock spring. Rather than spend the dough on a new spring for the stocker (never mind personal weight loss), it seems apparent to rip the whole thing off and call Traxxion for Penske or Mr. Kyle for Ohlins (I favor Penske, for various reasons).

At the same time, I'd have fork springs and valving changed. Rear without the front wouldn't solve much.

Now I'll have to raise the $1,500. Hmm: maybe I can sell my blood...

-=DRB=-

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a 98 zx6r and the suspenion sucked. I bought a Peneke shock off of Rob Lee and made it work on my bike(Rob it kicks ass) I then ordered the gold valve and a .85(rece tech)spring and installed it myself. I dont know why everyone elses didnt work,mine rocks!!!!!! Best 200 bucks i spent.I use transmission fluid/STP I work in a trans shop and its free. Barry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.