Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I got my zx6r '96 model about 4 months back, it's the second bike i've owned and I have been riding bikes for almost 2 years.
I don't do track days (but I wish I did!) and my riding style is like most other people's; moderate, but aggressive once in a while!.

I know all the settings that the front and rear pre-load, compression and damping should be, when standard, but all these settings have been modified (by previous owner, I guess).

The bike handles fine and does what is required, but because of my lack of expereience in suspension set-up and riding bikes in general, I'm not sure whether the current settings are having a negative effect on my riding. For all I know, they could be having a positive effect.

Should I revert to the original standard settings, or leave the settings as they are? Will changing the settings screw up my riding? Should I play around with them or not when everything APPEARS to be fine?

Oh yeah, I'm about 6 foot, and of moderate build. Any help or suggestions would be great! Cheers!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
That's a tough call Crossy. I do remember the old adage "you don't know what good suspension feels like until you've tried it." First thing to do would be to set your sag at 30mm. Have one of the local fast guys give you a hand. Check it out and see what that does for you.

Basic rule is, three clicks on one adjustment at a time, ride a particular road and if it feels good keep going in that direction until it starts to feel worse. Repeat with other adjustments.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
As long as you keep notes you don't have to worry about messing things up, you can always go back. If you don't feel any difference well, then, um, does it matter? You can still go back, if you want.

Count the clicks (if you have clicking suspension, I don't) as you turn them full in and write down that number for each setting.

I agree very much with StrongBad about getting someone experienced to help you out. I didn't really want to mess with my settings on my own, but after a local track guru helped me out the first time it was easier for me to explore by myself.

KEEP NOTES! and you'll be :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

I'll have a play around with the settings, taking notes. And i'll try and get some experienced help.

As you guys suggested, I can allways change it back!;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.