Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon all! :D

New to bikes as some of you will already know from my previous posts.

My question is how do i adjust the suspension for my weight? I haven't got a clue what the dials do on the top of the forks and whether the rear is even adjustable. I know that the proper way is to get it set up by a professional but my budget does not stretch that far at the minute :(

I weigh about 11 and a half stone (i suppose about 12 stone with my kit on) and just wondered if any of you lot are the same weight and could recomend how many "clicks" of the forks i should need to left or right or whatever [?] and also if i should do something with the rear, if possible.

Again, i haven't a clue what the settings are on at the minute - i have just left well alone.I don't even know HOW to alter it. The only thing i've done is to put a zip-tie around one of the fork legs to see how much travel i have used - it goes about 1cm from the bottom.

Hopefully you helpful lot will be able to shed some light on this for me and steer me in the right direction.

Thanks for any comments ;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thanks for that Ernie - A REAL help! I spent a while trying to explain what i was after and that doesn't include useless comments from you.

Alexrr - at least someone was helpful - however i'm still none the wiser. Clicks, lines showing, Compression, Rebound, Preload? WTF???

I have searched but it all seems gobbledygook to me. Can anyone offer some useful advise or at least give me a link that can explain it all in simple terms? Ta. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
but dont change rear shock settings!!!
its really hard to set it back.

use factory settings!!! it really works great,one turn means not 360 degreese!!only 180! from dead end ( after you did decompression)
1)set fork tube height to 6mm above triple clamp
2)make upper and lower settings soft
3)jump on your bike :D to make fork decompression
4)take 22 key and change front springs preload
3)than set upper and lower settings (front rebound damping / front comp. damping )

use good tools to do it. do it carefull.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by AlwaysforKawis
Click and read for some more of the basic info I think you're after Chris:
http://wilbersusa.com/wilbers/index.htm
Click on the BMW presentation link. Keep in mind this was a presentation to this specific bike, but they explain the basics of rebound/compression/etc plus some adjustment info. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that - i will take a look! :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Stones are an old English measure of weight. I believe a "stone" is equal to 14 pounds, so 12 stone is 164 pounds, about the same weight as me. I think the spring rates work pretty well for me, so you should only need to make sure your sag is correct. Personally, I've found the factory settings for compression and rebound damping to work great for twisties and track days.

I did need to set the sag front and back. The rear shock was sagging way too much. I managed to adjust the rear preload using channel-lock pliers. A bit of a PITA, but it works. Aim for 30-35mm of sag front and rear with you sitting on the bike, all geared up. The idea is to have the bike sag about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total suspension travel. That leaves plenty to absorb bumps and some travel to extend into dips/holes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry, just reviving an old topic to prove I searched :D

I'm not going to ask how to set up my bike, because I can figure that out on my own. But there's one thing that's really been confusing me. I want to use the settings on sportrider.com as my baseline setup (anybody know where else to find such year specific setups?) for my 2003 Kawi 6er. But the way they list the settings seems inconsistent and confusing. Sometimes they talk about clicks, sometimes they talk about turns. I can figure the click out, but the rear suspension is noted in turns. By turn, do they mean a click, a 360 degree turn, or a 180 degree turn? Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts