Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help on tuning my suspension since i lowered my 03' 636 about an inch, my weight is about 130 lbs, and my dealer left all the settings to stock when they installed the lowering links. I saw a article that wrote out what are great settings for the 636 i think it was sportrider.com or someting...Here are the settings they said to put it at. What do they mean 4 turns out? Do they mean counter-clockwise?

motorcycle = ZX-6R ('03)
issue = 6/03
front preload = 4 lines showing
front rebound damping = 6 clicks out
front comp. damping = full soft
rear preload = 30mm from top of spring to top of threads
rear rebound damping = 4 turns out
rear comp. damping = 4.5 turns out

note: set fork tube height to 4mm above top triple clamp with Pirelli Supercorsa tires, 0mm with stock Dunlop D208ZR tires

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yeah, when they say 4 turns out that means counter-clockwise from all the way in. Their settings might be a good place to start. You ought to come up with your own sag setting which is the front and rear pre-load. Do a search and you ought to come up with some good information or their are some good article here: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/suspension/. You are lighter than their test rider so you might want to keep that in mind (good for the equavalent of about 7 more horsepower over then average rider.)

When they lowered you bike did they lower the front, too?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm 165lbs. The sportrider settings made no sense to me. Especially on the rear. The shock spring was waaay to stiff for my weight. With the preload at a minimum, I could only get about 1/2" sag with me on it. I also ended up with the rebound and comp all the way out. It was still to harsh. So sent the shock out for a 8.kg spring and a revalving. This was for me the best $300 spent on the bike. CMR you NEED to do this for your 130lbs.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sign up for the SuperBike School Suspension Workshop on January 24th in Los Angeles. I'm going... it was only $20 and the class is limited to 30 students from 9am to 12noon. Like Nick Ienatsch said, though, most street riders need to work on their skills rather than worrying about 2 clicks of rebound and compression.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the info. The dealer left my front stock height and everything else stock,but lowered the back 1 inch... I'll probably have my dealer help me set the settings since my friend works there. Since they Race bikes all the time i think it would be a great place to start...thanks again

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by swjohnsey
To get your bike to handle proberly you need to lower the front as much as you lowered the back.
How would i go about to lower the front? By turning the large nuts on top of the shock Clock-wise? Right now it looks like there are 4 lines showing...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I liked a lot of the article in sportbikerider.com. I found it on spring when I had about 2000 km's behind with my -01 zx-6. I adjust the suspension with figures they recommended, bike came much better to ride and handle in corners. Now I also have risen the rear so it would be faster to turn, don't know yet if I need a steeringdamper after this mod?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Originally posted by CMR
Originally posted by swjohnsey
To get your bike to handle proberly you need to lower the front as much as you lowered the back.
How would i go about to lower the front? By turning the large nuts on top of the shock Clock-wise? Right now it looks like there are 4 lines showing...
The big one on top is your pre-load to adjust your sag. To lower the front you need to move the fork tubes up in the tripple clamps by loosening the pinch bolts a little. You need to be careful here because if you get the front too low it can make the bike unstable and cause headshake and possible tank slappers at high speed. Also you can run into interference problems with the front fender I believe. You probably need some help if you haven't done it before. I would move the fork tubes up so about as much showed above the top of the tripple clamp as the back was lowered and adjust from there.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
you can also only move the forks through the triples a certain amount safely....10mm's i think? i think sportrider had something on it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.