Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey I was reading a post on here and it got me wanting to put some aftermarket forks, and rear shock. What would be some good options for the ninja 650 (06). What Im looking to accomplish is better handling at higher speeds. Around 90 MPH it gets a little crazy and beyond that just gets too wobbly for lack of a better word. Blue ridge has two options, kinda pricie, would it be worth it?

· Premium Member
1,661 Posts
Considering the age of your bike do you really want to spend a lot of money upgrading the suspension? If it was me I'd use that money towards a better bike... Rumors are that the 2012 Ninja 650R will feature upgraded suspension.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering the age of your bike do you really want to spend a lot of money upgrading the suspension? If it was me I'd use that money towards a better bike... Rumors are that the 2012 Ninja 650R will feature upgraded suspension.
Yea, that's why I havn't done it yet. Here's why I want to do it though, I do want to buy a new bike, but it's going to be a KLR 650. I've always been more of a dual sport guy. That said, I would like to keep my ninja. How much of a difference would it make handling at higher speeds to go sport bars, better forks, and a new rear shock? Would or could I do more again for handling at higher speeds? Like I said I hit 90 and it starts getting a bit wobbly, nothing I can't handle but want it fixed.
Thank you in advance

· Registered
5,288 Posts
Mine was solid all the way up to top speed - on a decent surface. Start with looking at rear pre-load and tyre pressures,then tyre condition and any loading of accessories.

Poor surfaces throwing it off is a different issue. A good budget suspension upgrade is to fit cartridge emulators to the front fork and a stiffer spring to the stock rear shock. After that you can replace the shock and at the front fitting a complete 636 fork set is a mod that several people have done.

Again, on your bike, given its age, you may have a rear shock that no longer does its job, and the same for your forks, so try to figure out what the problems are before you decide how to spend money on it. It's also worth checking that a previous owner hasn't dropped the yolks too far down the forks and screwed the steering geometry.

Without really knowing what you're unhappy about its hard to suggest more, but these are a budget bike and there's scope for improvement. I doubt if the bars will help handling much, but if they make you feel more comfortable that in itself is a help.

Personally, after checking everything is as it should be, I'd start suspension upgrades with the rear shock.

Rob

· Premium Member
1,661 Posts
Is the 2012 650r going to be similar to the present model as far as fitment?
No one knows- it's only May, I think it will be a few more months at least before we know anything about the 2012 model.

But the Ninja 650R is a BUDGET bike in the US. I'd be surprised if Kawasaki makes any significant performance / handling upgrades in 2012 that would raise the price. After all, they don't want the EX650 to compete with the ZX6.

Just my thoughts- I could certainly be wrong :D

Ride On!

T

· Registered
185 Posts
Yea, that's why I havn't done it yet. Here's why I want to do it though, I do want to buy a new bike, but it's going to be a KLR 650. I've always been more of a dual sport guy. That said, I would like to keep my ninja. How much of a difference would it make handling at higher speeds to go sport bars, better forks, and a new rear shock? Would or could I do more again for handling at higher speeds? Like I said I hit 90 and it starts getting a bit wobbly, nothing I can't handle but want it fixed.
Thank you in advance
Buying a klr has its own problems. My 09 klr stock suspension is good for pavement, but even on gravel/dirt two track, the stock works are really stressed when things get rough. I ride w a guy who went w a moab rear and inserts in the front. Much better, but $800+ USD. If you ride it leisurely, it will work. If you intend to hide hard, it's replacement time for the suspension. dd50

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.