Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suspension

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  deonc 
#1 ·
I need to do something about my 636's suspension. It is sooooo stiff. I have 2200km on the bike and I need to change the rear. I don't want to effect the performance but I would like it to be a little cushier, especially when I am 2 up with my girl.
Any sugestions? I am 6'2 210lbs.

#2 ·
soften the compression a few clicks on the front a rear...should really make a difference, but beaware that it will cause the bike to "wallow" in turns alittle bit, but shouldn't be a big deal unless you ride super fast all the time...

#3 ·
Actually Andy, most of the harshness on the bike comes from the rebound, it's waaay too high. Try backing that off before you go farting around with the compression, Phish. Also backing out the pre-load on the rear would help a bit too.
Go a couple of clicks at a time until you find what you're looking for, then adjust something else.

#5 ·
Rebound is like negative logic.
You let out or go softer...actually you are taking away damping.
Which makes the bike rebound quicker & makes it pogo.
Just figured that out a few months ago. Maybe thats why i hate the stock shock so much!
Read it on sport rider....to think I've had it all wrong for 3 years.

Nobody recommended to this guy to set his rear rider sag(preload) at 25-30mm.

#9 ·
I have to agree with ob. I tried the settings johnboy was talking about and it just didn't work for me on the street. Maybe he's riding smoother roads or maybe it's because I'm a lightweight. I would think though that with a 210 pound guy riding two-up that it's not spring preload but maybe compression packing. Maybe a little MORE compression damping and a little LESS rebound damping for this situation. Just a thought, what do you guys think?

#11 ·
I keep a little book to make notes in when I change the suspension. After the changes are made and an entry in my note book I go for a ride around familar roads and come back and make notes on how it effected the bike ride.
Try this so when you do make a good setting and you change it & it is not as good you can go back to the last setting and know it is good.
It sound a bit grade schoolish but it sure as hell works.
Just remember to make your notes after the change before going for a ride, it is easy to forget during the ride what changes you have made.

If you end up at a track day or the like, make notes on track temp, ambient temp, weather conditions, amount of fuel, bike settings and it will soon all make sense on how changes will effect your bike and this makes changes in the future easier to predict.

I hope this helps

Corbywan

#12 ·
Hey corbywan, if keeping a suspension notebook is "grade schoolish", I suppose most high level race teams are grade school. I guarantee some of our fastest guys on this forum keep a running log of suspension settings from track to track or even road to road - some guys to shave a few tenths off, and some just to enjoy the ride better. It's an excellent suggestion bro.

#13 ·
Yeah I know all good race teams keep a log book, this is where I got the idea from. I used to pit for an open wheeler team. But when I wrote this suggestion it just sounded a little "grade schoolish".
I hope I didn't upset anyone. I can't recommend it enough, it certainly helps.

Hey, I'm not even close to being one of the fastest guys here on the forum, in fact I would probably be close to being the slowest and I still keep one, just to enjoy the better ride.

Enjoy your suspension tuning!

Corbywan

#14 ·
I have just sent my standard rear shock in for its first rebuild since new (50 000 km). So this weekend I will be spending doing just what you have described-pencil and notebook and my favourite twisty road! I will have to start form scratch as apparantly the shock was in dire need for a rebuild. Will be like riding a new bike!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.