Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search and did not find what i was looking for. i think?

what is preloading the suspention. and how can you adjust it, and how do the adjustments affect the bike, i heard it had somthing to do with the smoothness of the ride, but i have no idea so i thought i would ask you all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Preload is the additional load placed on the suspension to increase tension in the spring. It causes you to reach a stiffer range of the spring earlier. It can be adjusted on the front forks through the preload adjusters (should need a 14 socket I think). The rear can be adjusted with a spanner wrench on the top of the shock. The effect on the ride of adjusting preload depends on your weight and the weight of the springs. The first thing you should do is put a ziptie on the front fork and set up the static sag. After setting up the static sag you can then go back and adjust everything else.

·
Registered
134 Posts
pretty good first start for you. http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0006_susp_lingo/

Really the stock spring is the key, these bikes out of the box are setup for a rather small in scale person, and I know I'm about 60lbs north of those figures and as soon as I can I will be getting the correct springs for my size. Because it will be impossible to achieve the correct ride hieght and sag with the stock springs and my wieght. I can get it to be better then it is now, but the spring is just over powered right now. Cause you can crank on the preload you want into the stock spring but its not going to make it be able to hold up to my weight any better at that point all it is doing is compressing the spring.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
as what was stated the sportrider site has some info
also static sag is the 1st step to any bike working as it should...
i am in the same boat as jesse370, as i am 230 so the stock suspension just wasnst cutting it for me at all.

i now run Ohlins all around and set up for my weight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
By the way...DO NOT set up your bike according to Sportrider's "tested" settings for the 03 ZX6R. They are so off it's not even funny. Their settings make the rear stiff and full of rebound but the front soft and with tons of compression.

·
Registered
703 Posts
....it does seem that they ( sport rider ) may be confused with their recomended settings...... the rear may work for a 160 lb. or so rider, but the front they call for would be way off ! ! does anyone know how to get in touch with them to ask "what are you guys thinking" ???

·
Registered
703 Posts
...oooops. the link above was not what i thought it was.. what i was refering to in my post was the settings for the 06 636 that sport rider printed in the (july i think ) magazine article. sorry . L.D.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok guys well im just shy of 220. im trying to get down to 200, but it will be several months. so what should my suspention be set up like. it is 100% stock from the dealership floor.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Same weight here. My susp is perfect for ME. Might differ for you some, but these are my suggestions to start with and should be close.

Front preload: 1 line
Top of fork: 2 turns out
Bottom of fork: 2 turns out

Rear preload: 4 lines
Top of shock: 2 turns out
Bottom of shock: 10 clicks out

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
its spelled suspension not suspention i just cant let you keep spelling it like that.
Originally posted by helo-pilot
ok guys well im just shy of 220. im trying to get down to 200, but it will be several months. so what should my suspention be set up like. it is 100% stock from the dealership floor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In my opinion, getting the suspension set up on a motorcycle (even for the road) is worth every penny. Not only is it safer, but the feedback is so rewarding. At your current weight of 220, you need a front spring rate of .95. The stock spring rate is .90. Bang for the buck, front springs are cheap and easy to install. As for the rear, the stock spring rate of 9.7 is pretty close to the 9.8 that you need. For the street, you'd probably be pretty happy just getting set up with some new front springs.

·
Registered
703 Posts
......Hokie. do you have stock rear spring? if so, with four threads showing above the lock collar on rear shock, what kind of sag are you getting ?? thanks. L.D.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah, stock rear. My sag is just over an inch. The spring is too soft, but I got it real close. The only way for us heavyweights is to upgrade the rear spring or whole new shock.

·
Registered
703 Posts
what is the most anyone has cranked down the collar on the rear spring? ? ? i have a little more than 1/2" of threads showing above the lock ring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.