Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the penske 8997 shock compare to the ohlins shock? Also, does penske make a set of forks for 05-06 636? I'm looking to upgrade for race/track suspension set-up for next season.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Penske is the shiznit. There are other things to think about besides name. Setup is the other one, are there setup guidelines for the Ohlins? Yes.... Penske and Ohlins are both well used.

Get the Penske, it is more shock than most club racers can use and much more than you can use if you are not a track rider.

Penske does not build forks, you can spend 2-6 grand for Ohlins or just pay $600 to have your stock forks revalved and resprung, which will again give you far more suspension than your riding skills merit.

That is not a knock on you. I run upgraded suspension and a friend who rides stock suspension is a top five club racer..........Way faster than me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
They are both better than stock. Elka are also good shocks. Although they are better than stock they are still sold as standard models. Because of that for some riders they still need to be revalved to an individuals track conditions and riding style. But most of the time they are a few clicks away fron being as good as we are. I use Ohlins but its a pain to adjust preload without the correct tools. Elkas' are easy to work on and look very nice and robust.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've rebuilt 3 sets of Showa forks on 05-06 bikes and done both my penske and my boy's Elka. Go with the Penske on the rear. The Elka took some work to get it right but the penske was pretty good out of the box.

The stock forks on the 05-06 bikes are pretty good stock, soft but good. A little work to the stock valves, update the springs, needles and shim stack and you've got a darn good set of forks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the clever info guys..I got CTR to dial-in my stock suspension for my weight and track profile and it made a huge difference. I was just unsure if I could mix-match forks and shock brands and come out with a smooth ride. The CTR guy told me I should do him a favor and change the shock out at least. I think I'm gonna go with the penske shock and get the stock forks redone with the olins kit since my bike will only see track time......hopefully CCS and WERA novice in 07.:D

·
Registered
120 Posts
yo i was thinking of getting the ohlins kit for my 05 forks, you know the kit that replaces all the internals. any ideas on that mod and is it worth the money?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can install trax dynamics ak20 cartridge kits in your forks for around $950 + shipping. Call me at 910-670-1755.

chris

p.s. I may be able to save you some on other parts.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Originally posted by kylbie
gmd can do the same 20mm cartridge kit installed for 550 including springs, oil, and labor
I doubt it. Max does not sell the traxxion kits for anywhere near that price....

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
thats max....

gmd can do a 20mm cartridge kit for 550 installed

they can do an ohlins 20mm kit for around 800 installed

feel free to call eric in fl or kent in atlanta

www.gmdcomputrack.com feel free to check them out
Your post said they could do a TRAXXION AK kit for that price, not a revalve which uses the stock damping rod and cartridge and only changes the valving. The AK kits includes spring, rod, and cartridge as well as valving, it replaces EVERYTHING in the fork.

·
Registered
120 Posts
that's what i was thinking of doin going with trax, or ctr haven't decided. need some $$$ first.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Originally posted by Ernie

Your post said they could do a TRAXXION AK kit for that price, not a revalve which uses the stock damping rod and cartridge and only changes the valving. The AK kits includes spring, rod, and cartridge as well as valving, it replaces EVERYTHING in the fork.
when is a 20mm kit just a revalve... its a full gmd 20mm cartridge kit. which is the same thing max does... except you get a fair price.

hell they can do a 25mm cartridge kit for 1200 fully installed

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

when is a 20mm kit just a revalve... its a full gmd 20mm cartridge kit. which is the same thing max does... except you get a fair price.

hell they can do a 25mm cartridge kit for 1200 fully installed
It's not the same thing unless it is the same design, materials, tolerances, valving and engineering.

I, and many other, have had great results with Max's work over the years. I buy my shocks from him, and either he or Lindemann do my forks.
I am not familiar with GMD's kit, however that is a good price if it is a full kit, not a revalved showa cartridge.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Originally posted by Ernie

It's not the same thing unless it is the same design, materials, tolerances, valving and engineering.

I, and many other, have had great results with Max's work over the years. I buy my shocks from him, and either he or Lindemann do my forks.
I am not familiar with GMD's kit, however that is a good price if it is a full kit, not a revalved showa cartridge.
also if you race....

gmd is at most of the races for wera and ccs (in my region atleast) these guys are more than willing to go out of their way. alot of guys have worked on factory teams building suspension for top riders. they offer full 24 hr tech support. i have a couple cell phone numbers of the shop guys if im ever riding where they are not.

·
Registered
120 Posts
ctr is always at summit. and since millville in nj isn't done yet well summit is kinda my home track...for now and they always seem to be there on race weekends.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.