Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have always loved the ZX7, but I like the 96+ headlights better. There is a guy in my area who wants to trade his 94 ZX7 for my 02 SV650s both bike have almost the same km's on them. His has a few more performance parts on it, mine has a few more body mods.

Is there a way to put 96+ plastics on a 94? How hard is it to find aftermarket parts for a 94? Any websites and advice would be great thanks.

-Kyle

·
Registered
70 Posts
im pretty sure the plastics bolt on. as for trading idk if i would do it. i loved my 04 SV650s. only reason i have a my zx7r is because the sv was stolen and i got the 7 dirt cheap. i think you would be getting ripped trading for a 94 zx7 IMO.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yeah you can put the 96+ fairings on a 94, but I believe you need the upper mirror/fairing stay. Also you may need the headlight bracket. There's is still a bunch of aftemarket for the 93-95's so that shouldn't be a problem. There is a ton of potential in the 7, so it all depends on how much your willing to spend on performance). Both bikes are pretty different... so it all depends on what your after. The SV is more upright seated position, very light and flickable, and has good low end torque for city riding.... but the ZX7 is more aggressive seated, and is pretty heavy but is a very solid, stable bike. It will walk a SV on any straight (well I can only really vouch for my bike, and it isn't stock) and more importantly come out of the corners quicker. As for twisties.... well I guess it depends on the rider but the SV will have an advantage if riders are of the same quality. I have riden an 01 SV 650 and an 03 SV 650... and to be honest I would take my 93 zx7 over either of them any day. ;) Once you become comfortable with the 7... you'll forget about the SV alltogether.

·
Registered
133 Posts
LOL....small world
ANyhow, the main reason I am looking to do this swap is that I am far too short, and more importantly, short legged to ride the ZX7. I am only 5'4" and have a 29" inseam. I am unwilling to lower a bike as I refuse to compromise with cornering clearance, so I can only sit at a stoplight with tiptoes on a single foot on the ZX7. No way can I come close to putting both feet down. This also makes it a scary situation at stoplights with a passenger. When passenger gets on, I have to have Candice sit on the seat first, then carfeully lift feet to the pegs, or she could easily topple us at a stoplight just from moving around too much. I can't stop it from falling if I can't touch the ground,LOL. I also find the bars are too far away for me to comfortably reach, unless I am railing thru the twisties, where the aggressive riding postion works well.. Last week in Deals Gap, the seating postion suited me fine, and becasue there was no stopsigns or stoplights, the seat height and width didn't bother me too much either. But here at home, I find it a chore to tool around town on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So is a 94 ZX7 a fair straight trade for a 02 SVs? I mean there are 8 years there...I know the bikes are very different, and I do want a bike that is a bit more stable and has more power. My insurance company dosn't insure any of the ZX modle bikes, so I am looking around for a new company...any tips?

-Kyle

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am insured with State Farm. their bike rates are very reasonable. You will need to insure at least one car with them, or possibly your home instead of a car, then they will insure your bike. Technically, they can't force you to give them your home and car business, but if you try to argue the point with them, they will suddenly tell you that they don't need any business right now. I pay $917 a year for full coverage and 1 mil liablity, and $300 deductibles. I am 32, and have been GM licenced since I was 17.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Originally posted by KWebber
So is a 94 ZX7 a fair straight trade for a 02 SVs? I mean there are 8 years there...I know the bikes are very different, and I do want a bike that is a bit more stable and has more power. My insurance company dosn't insure any of the ZX modle bikes, so I am looking around for a new company...any tips?

-Kyle
I tend not to look at bikes by year.... I would rather look at kms or mileage and maintenence as opposed to the year. The reason obviously being that, you could look at a newer bike that has been beaten to shit with high kms... or look at a older bike that has been cared for, and has less kms... which looks more attractive to you? ;) So if looking at it from a value standpoint... if Omnivore's bike is well maintained with low kms (which it looks like it is) than the overall value of the two (yours and his) are fairly close. Either way it looks like the both of you will be happy with the trade... good luck to both if you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh shit... I forgot to mention... I am also with State Farm... but only part of what Omnivore said was true. Yes they may try to get you to sign on you car or house... but I was able just to get my bike alone with them seeing that I was a prefered client at RBC for my truck. It's all about the time of year to them because from my understanding they are only allowed to have a certain amount of "B" class insurables (i.e motorcycles) per office. So if you are able to sign on when they have many positions open then they will insure you without your car/home. But if you try for insurance at a time that is more busy (early spring) than they will try to get you to sign other insurables with them. Your best bet with State Farm would be from now to FEB... then you can pretty much have it your way. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good stuff to know Agent7. I guess I will try to leave just the house and bike with State Farm, and move my 2 cars and my work van to RBC. My car/van rates doubled when I went to State Farm, but their bike rates were 1/4 of Primmum's.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yeah... I have a setup that seems to work for me. I've been with RBC for quite a few years now... so they give me a prefered rate for long time customer. No other insurance company can come close to the rate I get on my truck (State Farm was almost triple the RBC rate), as well as you get a few small perks when you become a prefered customer with RBC. I have no complaints of either company, but then again I havent had any claims with either of them... *knocks on wood* lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will have to call state farm tomorrow on my lunch break. I think you are right, both of us would be happy with the trade. I'll look in to state farm ASAP.

-Kyle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.