Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Going to get my frame & swingarm powdercoated and have a couple of q's:

Anybody know how much heat the needle bearings stand?
Do they stand spending almost an hour in 400 degree oven?
If so, any hints on how to cover them? If they don't, any hints on disassembly?

The same thing about wheel bearings?
Wouldn't like to change a couple hundred of bucks worth of bearings for nothing.

Also if somebody has a clue how/if those special nuts on the subframe come off, all info is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna answer myself: the bearings won't have a chance in the heat.

So will renew all the bearings. Crazy use for 1500 mile old bearings of a 07 swing arm... :D
(Wouldn't paint the swing but the seller didn't mind to remove/strap the chain and it made pretty bad scratches during shipment. :()

Costs add up: 5x $10 bearings in swingarm, 2x $30 bearings in the frame, 8x $15 bearings in the wheels. That's a total of $230.

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
I'm gonna answer myself: the bearings won't have a chance in the heat.

So will renew all the bearings. Crazy use for 1500 mile old bearings of a 07 swing arm... :D
(Wouldn't paint the swing but the seller didn't mind to remove/strap the chain and it made pretty bad scratches during shipment. :()

Costs add up: 5x $10 bearings in swingarm, 2x $30 bearings in the frame, 8x $15 bearings in the wheels. That's a total of $230.
um...huh?
8 bearings in the wheels? should be 4??

5 in the swingarm? also...shouldnt there be 4?
and....none in the frame...thatd be where the swingarm bearings go...

ive never had mine apart....so, i might not have a clue as to what im talking about.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I used a large screw driver and hammer to remove the frame and wheel bearings. The swingarm bearings were removed and re-installed at the dealer, I don't know how you could do it yourself.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
I used a large screw driver and hammer to remove the frame and wheel bearings. The swingarm bearings were removed and re-installed at the dealer, I don't know how you could do it yourself.
manual says do not remove hub bearing unless a new one is being installed.

as for removal of others, looks like a brass/aluminum rod would work. insert on the oposite side and tap the other side out. brass/alum. is soft

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I did count it wrong. Don't know where the heck did I got those 8 bearings for wheels. :D

F wheel: 2
R wheel: 2
R hub: 1 (no need to change?)
Swing - pivot: 2 needle + 1 ball
Swing - dog bones: 2 needle
Frame - steering: 2 expensive ones (do I need to remove these, when just the races remain there during painting?)

Anyway, have to suck it up. Rather do it well once than again after f*ckd up first time. :)

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Yes, I did count it wrong. Don't know where the heck did I got those 8 bearings for wheels. :D

F wheel: 2
R wheel: 2
R hub: 1 (no need to change?)
Swing - pivot: 2 needle + 1 ball
Swing - dog bones: 2 needle
Frame - steering: 2 expensive ones (do I need to remove these, when just the races remain there during painting?)

Anyway, have to suck it up. Rather do it well once than again after f*ckd up first time. :)
i thought you were only doing the SA.
no need to fool with the hub imo.
steering head, i'd try to remove the races. if you leave them in, they'll prolly get paint on them, unless you cover them, then uncover them when they go into the oven?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gonna cover the hole in front completely, so races won't get any sand/paint. As far as I know you can't just change the races nor install them again. If it fails it isn't that big a job to change them afterwards, as it is with swing bearings.
The painter also has this heat withstanding tape which could be used to cover just the races.

Not painting the hub, just made the point that rear axle has a total of 3 bearings.

Well, have to go and see the dealer with the swing arm, so I'll get the items painted in near future. Still have months to do everything but at this pace it will never be together. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
all bearings need to come out. and i have never got the needle bearings out with out damage to them. get new bearings for the swingarm. the wheel bearings can be taken out and reused

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After some violence, have to say that the pivot bearings are going nowhere without heating the swingarm. Have to get back to it today, as I get my heat gun back.

SKF site knew they're a "heavy interference fit" and have to comply to that. :D

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heat gun did it's job, bearing races came out easy like wheel bearings. :)

Noticed we have a bearing kit for the swing in the store I work, just have to go throught the fisches to confirm 03 and 07 use same bearings.

Almost finished with protecting all the mounting points and threads, just have to get in touch with the painter to schedule.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I just include powder coating to be a form of painting. Actually they both are subcategories of surface finishing but anyway, powder is the way I'm going.

Edit: just went through the fisches: 05-08 uses same bearings for pivot, 03 has different. Outer and inner diameters are the same, so there can't be that much difference.

Dog bone bearings are same all the way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts