Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
low sided in the rain yesteray at the track.

Aside from broken rear brake lever (which I removed and continued to ride) and rashed body work (sure glad I put the Attack Performance race glass on), the swingarm slider (Shogun) must have gotten caught when I went off the track...it basically just ripped off the mounting boss at the welds...now I have two nasty holes in my swingarm and no spool to use with my stand.

Anyone know if this can be fixed by a welder?

Also, I'd like to get a slider that goes thru the rear axle to protect in the future...won't trust the spool sliders again. Anyone know who makes them?

Here's a few pics...

·
Registered
129 Posts
That is actually a problem with Kawasaki.... I just had my whole swingarm replaced because my spool slider came off. Granted, it wasnt because of a wreck, but it still shouldnt do that.

Kawasaki probobly wont replace that now that you've recked. But to answer your question, yes it can be welded. The owner of the local kawasaki dealership had his come off, and just brought it down and got it welded back on..

If there are no evidence of the wreck other than that on your swingarm, you might be able to go to the dealer and see if they will replace the swingarm. I guess it is a problem that kawasaki knows about.....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Fuckin whoops.

Next question is it better to leave them on or take em off?

i have a set of billeted steel ones that sit on at all times.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess is it's better to not use them at all. This was not a 'bad' crash, just everyday lowside (50 mph max...but I'm guessing I wasn't even doing that).

I think the better option would be to use the kind of slider that has rod thru the rear axle and a slider on each side. A guy on a Daytona 675 had some and he highsided the same day as my lowside....his worked great and received no damage at all.

R&G Racing offers them (called spindle sliders) but they don't have any for Kawi.....anybody know of anybody else offering them?....my google searches are coming up dry :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Actually, I had to do a track day before my swingarm was replaced, so I went and got a peice of half inch threaded stock from home depot, and used that through my axle. Worked great....

I would keep the sliders on though. Better protection for the swingarm (if they work). Mine broke off just from putting the bike on/off the stand. But my guess is, that if Kawasaki knows its a problem already, then they will be happy to fix it. Mine came off with less than 1000 miles on the bike.

Just keep an eye on them. Get down and see if either of them are cracking AT ALL. If they are, bring it back do your dealer, and tell them you want a new swingarm.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input....but it's pretty evident that mine was crashed :( I wonder if they (Kawi) would still cover it?....bike is not under warranty.

But even with a new swingarm...my bet would be next low side will just snap it off again.

Going to check around on getting it welded...if I have to take the swingarm off for that I'll probably just look for a new/used one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is Kawasaki replacing the swing arms? On my brothers 05 6rr both of them have snaped off. On snaped off just puting the bike on the stand and I got a nice burn trying to save the bike and grabing the exhaust so the bike did not hit the floor, He had that one weled on by a welder he knows. Some one rear ended him last week sending him off track and the other one snaped off.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yup, Ive heard of 3 people having that problem. Im friends with all the guys at the dealership, so I just called them and told them to take care of it.....

When the other guy brought his down to get welded, he brought the whole bike... didnt take the swingarm off...

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Had the same problem over a year ago, bike kinda just fell ove in the driveway and the swingarm boss snapped right off..

People kept saying it happens and was not CHEAP craftsmanship on kawasaki...But if it has happened to you, WE KNOW;).

yeah i took it to a welder and he fixed it right up in about 30 minutes...and he touched up the other side as well..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought some sliders for my swingarm and front axle here. Very good product and the service is great. The only problem is you have to call to order. They are working on their website for the near future. I do not have any affiliation whatsoever with this company. I am just a satisfied customer. The shipping was very fast to Canada!

www.rhinomoto.com/index.html

408/313-8113 ask for Steffen Hagene

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks xtralight!

I just talked to Steffen and got a set on order!

Hopefully I won't be testing them out anytime soon [8D]

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow this shit happened to me the other day, but mine was my fault. Me and a female friend were on the bike, and when we got off, I noticed that the spool was smiling at me. As soon as I pulled it off I noticed that it had cracked the weld.

I got lucky and found a swing arm on ebay for $110 shipped, so I picked that up yesterday and hopefully it will be here in the next few days. I am thinking of having the new swing arm welded so that it will be reinforced. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually had a local racing shop weld mine back on...they did a great job.

I do not plan to ride with the spools any longer...I put them on when using the stand and remove them before getting on the track. I picked up some of the RhinoMoto swingarm axle sliders for protection.

Here's pics of the fix:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Ding Ding reality check.

The frame and swingarm are THIN wall aluminum. Of COURSE the sliders rip it out and it dings. Those bosses are intended to be LIFT POINTS for a stand, NOT swingarm sliders. Get a new swingarm, or get a PRO to weld a PLATE over both holes and set a new boss. I picked up a swingarm on ebay for 40 bucks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.