Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 zx6r, stock rear tire is 170. Can I put on a 180 without changing to a wider rim?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I am glad you brought that up b/c I had no idea that bike came w/ a 170. Would have thought it came w/ a 180. I thought the 98-02 had the same tire size.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can swtich to a 180 no problem. It was said that it improves handling slightly if you change both tires to the 00-02 spec, thats a 120/65 front and the 180/55 and thats what i did. Its hard to tell if its better, but so far it works great for me.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Stick with the stock size. Changing to a larger tire will affect your handling because it will change your tire profile.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If you can change the tire without changing the rim or anything else I say go for it. What's the worse that could happen, it doesn't handle as good as it did before? You'll still be able to turn and everything; it shouldn't be that bad, and if you hate it just do lots of burnouts :D

That's if you have the money to experiment. If not you're probably not missing much of a positive difference, and I wouldn't worry about it ;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!! for all the replies.... riding seasons pretty much over with here in NYC, i guess i got the off season to think about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.