Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched to synthetic for my third oil chande and now the engine sounds weird. It sounds so much louder and choppy, and the when the bike idles it sounds weird too.

And the gears........ they are loud too.

I was haulin ass in 5th the other day, got on it and went into neutral??????? I dont like this oil, it fucks things up.

Should i have used semi-synthetic???

by the way it was MX4T full synthetic

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
full synthetic works great, as long as you dont get the "energy saving" stuff, it messes up the clutch.
That mobil1 mx4t is very popular, dont think I've heard of anyone else having problems like that.
I assume you put enough in? check the spyglass when the bike has been sitting for a couple hours.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i just put castrol R4 oil this weekend and like canadian said, dont get the energy saver one. i think theres one out there for temperature conditions. the R4 is pricey, but no problems.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I just put in Mobil1 15W50 at 2000 miles.

The engine is now much quieter and smoother. Got rid of alot of valvetrain noise.

Shifting is also smoother.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I seriously believe you do not have a problem with the syn. oil unless you did not put enough in. Coming out of gear could have just been you did not get a complete shift.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've used the MX4T and Mobit 1 15x50 (red cap car oil) and can not tell any difference so far, other than my wallet felt heavier:D

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I use crappy dyno oil that is made specifically for 18-wheelers and deisels engines. The oil is cheap and my bikes seem to love it. I also read some articles saying that oil designed for heavy duty trucks are great because they are made to withstand extreme conditions.

anyhow, just thought I would add my experience...I too have noticed that some oils make my bikes run louder, hotter and shift rougher...I just make a mental note not to buy that oil again...

so far the best oil I have ever ran in my bikes has been some really cheap oil designed for deisel engines I get at Walmart and I have tried alot of full synthtics like Mobil 1 and Castrol.

Got almost 8000 miles on my bike and everything is running great. I do oil changes atleast every 3000 miles, I also do one right after winter storage.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I havent used syn yet. But I plan on using a Maxima brand synthetic once I hit 1500mi.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Strange. Most members (including myself) that have swapped to full synth have posted just the complete OPPOSITE... that the synthetic has made the bike much quieter and smoother, and shifting is maybe the BIGGEST plus of synthetic oil - it's effortless and more accurate. I ran BelRay EXL Gold this time, and it's been unbelievable, I highly recommend full synth to anybody. So I can't exactly understand why you have had such a different reaction. Is it a valve noise you're hearing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Andy, it takes guts to do what you're doing. Heavy-duty oils are designed for completely different running conditions comparing to motorcycle oils. Unless you're driving below 5000 rpm you risk breaking the oil film and seizing the engine.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I'll post back here once my engine seizes...I cruise around 5-7k and when I hit the twisties it runs from 7-13k usually....

I'll have to post the link to the studies done regarding using deisel oil in high performance motorcycles...

·
Registered
88 Posts
The only problem i have heard of with using diesel oils in petrol engines is that the diesel has alot of detergents in it which on a engine that has carbon or sludge buildup it will clean all this out & clog your oil filter, & make a worn engine smoke really badly as it has cleaned all the carbon from it

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
yeah but if you engine isnt dirty to begin with and you change your oil filter frequently, then whats the problem? clean engine is good right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.