Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding synthetic oil/valve cover leak. If it's been covered before, sorry, I missed it! But, I changed my oil today, I am at 5400 miles, and would like to change over to synthetic. I've been told before not to do it too soon, that the mineral oil was good for "seasoning" the metal internals, but that around 5000 miles it should be ok to switch over. I did not switch to syn this time because.....I run syn in my Si, and also I wanted to go to syn in my Supra, but was told it's not good to switch to syn on an older motor with lots of miles because it could cause it to start leaking. I don't know if this is true or not, BUT I do NOT have the dreaded valve cover leak (yet) on the 6r, and I would not want it to START leaking if I changed to synth. Is that possible or am I going on some misinformation I was given?
Please give me some opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Change to synth if you want from the first oil change.

Synth is not going to make an engine leak.
If the engine leaks, it's because there is something wrong with it, not because of the oil you use.

Go for it!

I recommend Amsoil (or Mobil 1).

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I would think, but if the gaskets are already a potential problem, or if they are old and brittle like in an old car, I was concerned it could happen.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
it is true, that switching to full synth on a HIGH mileage motor can lead to leaks.

but 5-6k is NOT considered high miles.

some ppl say switch..right outta the gate.(see above)
i say no thank you, i'll wait a few thousand miles.(what can it hurt, right?)

its all about WHO you ask:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You could also use the search like I did when I was deciding to put synthetic for my first service...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You could also use the search like I did when I was deciding to put synthetic for my first service...
True dat, Except that wouldn't answer the valve cover part of my question. I have always used synth in everything (except my Supra) but was unsure if I should with this bike since it seems to have a tendency to leak anyway according to what seems like a lot of people.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's no issue with swapping over to Synthetic oil despite what some people say ! Personally it made my bike (03 ZX636) much smoother, especially the gear change, it also appears to help the engine warm up faster and maintain a lower operating temperature, that's just my observation... I've always used syth oil in my motocross race bikes and I've had very few motor-related problems, I wouldn't go back now !
Modern car / motorcycle oils are excellent these days and well tested, as long as the oil doesn't have any "friction modifiers" or the like in it then it'll be just fine. I can highly recommend Silkolene Comp 4, not sure if you have that over there ?

·
Registered
193 Posts
i put syn blend in at 5k and it still leaked, but when i put mobil one full syn in at 10 k i noticed it quieted down the valves/lifters and stopped the leak. well i lied, at first it poured out for bout 100 miles and 2k miles since and not one drop has come out.

but yeah, mobil one has impressed me in everything i put it in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts