Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im currently runnin shell rotella 5w40 synthetic and was wonderin is this a good oil to be usein for everyday rideing and visits at the dragstrip or should i be runnin something else like the 15w40 that shell offers or another quality oil

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh and how much free play do u guys leave at the clutch lever some say a nickel size but some say more if u are going to be dragracing

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
i run a bit more play..its just more comfy for me. less of a reach. i guess maybe i have short fingers:dunno:

as far as oil goes..id guess what ur using is fine. are u having problems?

i wont run synth...ive got my reasons.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i run a bit more play..its just more comfy for me. less of a reach. i guess maybe i have short fingers:dunno:

as far as oil goes..id guess what ur using is fine. are u having problems?

i wont run synth...ive got my reasons.
hey man whats your reasons to why u want run synthetic ? how much free play do u have or recomend

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
hey man whats your reasons to why u want run synthetic ? how much free play do u have or recomend
may or may not be related, but i had a bad experince while using it. that and i really dont feel it makes a difference. i know...others will SWEAR it does. thats fine. as long as i keep it changed, im sure my bike will outlive me.

um..i dono..until recently i had ALOT of play. like a 1/2" maybe more..

i adjusted it up..ive prob got 1/4" or so. maybe slightly less..

but as long is it FULLY releases, and FULLY engages, adjust it how it feels good to YOU.

·
Registered
41 Posts
but as long is it FULLY releases, and FULLY engages, adjust it how it feels good to YOU.
X2

About the oil' i have heard all the horror stories about synthetic also. I use 10w40 Valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil in mine. I used to use Castrol GTX car oil and didn't know any better, but when i switched to oil that was made for a motorcycle it made a world of difference in shifting. I have friends that also will swear by synthetic, but they refuse to use anything else other than Redline motorcycle oil, they change it about every 3000 miles because 1 the oil is expensive and 2 with running synthetic you can run it a little longer. But they claim that it shifts just as well with fresh oil as it does 3000 miles later.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys where do you'll have the adjusters set at down by the clutch cover, i have the cable nut adjuster closest to the front of the bike all the way out, do i need to adjust it, i always adjusted it by the handle bar adjuster, just replaced my steels and dont want to burn up another set of clutch plates just replaced them with a set of oem ones

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here is a pic of the steel plates i took out of my bike, what can cause them to burn up and look so black like this, they are made by factory kg steels

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts