Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read alot of the threads about synthetic oil, and have heard different things about when you should put synthetic (aka THE GOOD STUFF) into my bike.

Ive read guys on this forum have put it in at like 3k miles, but a tech i talked to said you don't need to use it till 16k-20k miles

i was just wondering when i should tell the bastids to put the good stuff in. right now i got 600miles on the bike and had the first service and after the first oil change i can already notice a difference in how smooth it shifts. just wondering when i should call for THE GOOD STUFF.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yea 600 miles...im in FL, and in the summer IT RAINS and is 100 DEGREES, cant wait for the winter to come and for it to get dry and cool, then i can start puttin some miles in

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey FMAN, I'm in the humid state as well.haha Getting ready to rain like hell in about 10 minutes here, and of course I rode my bike to work tonight. Anywho, I just did my oil change today and damn does it shift smoother and run more quiet.

I've gone against some things I read and already put Mobil MX4T 10w40 Synthetic in at 900 miles. I'm not sure why you are supposed to wait to use the "good stuff."???? All I've noticed since the oil change is improvement.[8D]

So, someone tell us about why it is good to wait to use full synth. I'm just curious and hope I'm not f'in up my bike in any way.

Today was the oil change... tomorrow is the Micron Ti highmount install.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The only reason you're supposed to wait is for your engine to preak-in properly. If you use synthetic too early, it could prevent the rings from seating properly. Other than that, stick with synthetic.

@ RJinFL:
You can also use Mobil1 15w50. Same specs as MX4T, but half the price.

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks for the info. I guess I'll just stick with the synth now that its in there. I beat the hell out of my engine in those 900 miles, so it should be broke in.:D

The 15w50 would probably be a little better here in Florida over the 10x40.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Yeah, it'll be good. I live in Southern Ontario and the 15w50 does great... and we don't get HALF the ambient heat that you do down in FL.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, i like to ride my bike like i stole it as well RJinFL

so damn humid and nasty here in Gainesville in the summer, can't wait for the winter

im still wondering when is i should turn over to synthetic, i was thinking after i hit 3k, and yes that first oil change makes a huge difference in how smooth it is, if it is this good w/ regular oil, i can't wait to get enough miles to have em throw synthetic in

oh yea, im goin by the book and this is basically when it says to do service

600, 4k, 7.5k,12k, 15k, 20k -Miles (which after the first service, is every 6,000 km)

·
Registered
47 Posts
just got back from a quick ride with my micron installed... very impressed. Sounds deep between 2-7k rpm and screams the rest of the way up. Install was easy... the instructions did suck though... I just figured it out myself using pictures.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm just plain LOVING the difference full synthetic oil made in the way my bike feels, particularly the smoothness in shifting. It's instantly noticeable the first ride, and only seems to get better. I'm gonna start running full-synth in all my engines... now where's that lawnmower???

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You can use full synthetc anytime after your break-in is complete.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an 86 ZX6R with about 15,000 miles on it, its my first bike and I've been riding for 3 months (had it for 4 but put a hole in my knee at 65 mph on a concrete barrier on the highway but got lucky and didn't fall but ouldn't ride for awhile) anyway I know in an older car you shouldn't use synthetic oil is the same true for an older bike such as mine, I had the older changed and carbs synced just after I bought the bike but never asked what they put in for oil.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Originally posted by TheDemonOfMine

I have an 86 ZX6R with about 15,000 miles on it, its my first bike and I've been riding for 3 months (had it for 4 but put a hole in my knee at 65 mph on a concrete barrier on the highway but got lucky and didn't fall but ouldn't ride for awhile) anyway I know in an older car you shouldn't use synthetic oil is the same true for an older bike such as mine, I had the older changed and carbs synced just after I bought the bike but never asked what they put in for oil.

Why shouldn't you put synthetic in an old bike? Just curious, I know nothing.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I just switched to Mobil-1 15w50, and I'm liking it so far. I had appx 8200KM's on the clock at the time. As DJ noted, the smooth kawi tranny is like silk now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.