Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is taking the back rim off a pain in the ass? i caught a flat yesterday in ft myers and now i need to take the back rim off and bring it to a shop to put a new tire on but the thing that bothers me most is the cotter pin need help oh and im gonna put the dunlop 207rr tire on it love the way it looks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nope. It's easy as hell. As long as you have a rear stand.

Take the cotter pin out If you are having trouble straightening it to slide it out just cut it where it bends with a pair of side cutters and pull the remainder out from the hoop side. Loosen off the axle nut then loosen the chain adjusters. Push the tire all the way forward and move the chain to the outside of the sprocket and turn the wheel. After the chain is off pull the axle out making sure you take the spacers out and put them to the side in the order and direction they need to be. If the rim is going to be off for a while I will reinstall the axle with all the spacers just to make sure I don't lose any of them. There is nothing worse then trying to find a part that went shooting across the garage.

I hope this helps.
Faerge[}:)]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i havent done it yet but it seems easy enough. but if i have trouble with the pin and cut im gonna need a new one right, or is it not really neccesary?

thanks for the info anyway

·
Registered
252 Posts
do not reuse your cotter pin. very bad. they're so cheap, spend $2 at a hardware store and get a pack of 10. when you bend and reshape the metal it is susceptible to breaking.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
you need a rear stand or a jack. also, remove the brake caliper from the bracket its on. this will make putting it back on easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.