Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been reading on some stuff on this site for a while and I did a quick search, but I have my Basic Rider Course comming up next week or the week after and I wanted to know what you guys think of the boots and gloves I thought of buying for the test since I need to bring boots and gloves..
and any suggestions on what kind of long-sleeve shirt to wear? I dont really have anything but a basic long-sleeve shirt that provides no protection whatsoever and some winter jackets that might be a little too hardcore or hot for those days... since i'm in miami.

the boots i'm loving right now are these:
http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1665&id=7037

and the gloves I actually went to a shop and tried on I found them very comfortable..
http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1664&id=7023

I'm sticking to Icon gear because I Looove how it looks so far not to mention i'm getting an icon helmet.. and so far the reviews I read on the boots are great and they look good, I can wear them out when I go on the bike and not worry about swapping, and the gloves were veryyyy comfortable and the movement is very free... the only concern is how light the gloves are and if the protection is really enough...

any comment/concern is appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
even though i had all my gear already i took the msf corse in a basic cotton long sleeve shirt. honestly they won't let you drive fast enough that you wouldn't be able to just step off the bike if you got wobbly or in trouble. i did wear my gloves helmet and boots though just because they are the most likely contact points if you were to fall over at such very very slow speeds.

ps. i wear all of my gear all the time even when just driving down the street to my buddy's house, but if i were to take the msf again i would go without wearing my jacket still.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Take the course with whatever you have laying around that will meet the requirements. Then take time to invest in proper gear afterwards.

Everyone I took the course with came with some sort of long sleeve, street boots, some sort of non-motorcycle glove, and a cheap helmet.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
the boots you found should be fine. i tried on a pair at the store and i liked them a lot. i'd suggest better gloves though. my first pair of gloves were the icon tarmac v2 gloves. they were priced the same and looked almost exactly the same. however i was walking down the driveway to get the mail one day and tripped cause i wasn't paying attention and i when i hit the ground with the gloves the seems popped letting the gloves rip open and the base of my palms got bruised and sore for a few days. i can't imagine what would have happened if i crashed wearing those things. you get what you pay for and i would definitely suggest something with more padding for a fall and with better stitching. i currently have alpine stars gauntlet style gloves and i feel like my hands are much safer now.

as far as what other gear you should buy, just use the search tool (click on the link in my signature) and you'll find lots of good threads about gear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
street boots like timberlands? lol those cannot be good... when i drive my car with tims i drive all whacked out cuz its such a different feel..
and any gloves like... snowboarding/skiing gloves that I have lying around?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
street boots like timberlands? lol those cannot be good... when i drive my car with tims i drive all whacked out cuz its such a different feel..
and any gloves like... snowboarding/skiing gloves that I have lying around?
yeah they'll let you take the class with anything that covers you up basically.
the only real requirement is that your boots have to cover the ankle and your helmet has to be dot approved.

ps. riding boots are going to feel much MUCH different than any shoe you are used to, even more so than tims

·
Registered
25 Posts
wear stuff thats comfy, just I have a similar style icon boot that i wore to the brc. gloves buy whatever style u like best, and make sure it fits.

if u go to the brc without gloves, theyll have gardening gloves for you to wear. so whatever gloves u buy will be waay better than old stinky clunky grandmas gardening gloves. lol.

BTW, when i took the class, a guy showed up in wrestling shoes. They had to let him take the class cause the instructions were shoes that cover the ankle. lol. he was, however required to show up to the second day of class with a pair of leather boots. and the guy was lucky he did, cause it rained cats n dogs that day. I wouldnt have wanted to ride around in wrestling shoes for 4hrs in the pouring rain. and it was superbowl sunday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts