Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm actually considering taking mine off too. I'm getting the manual shortly, but I'd still like to hear other peoples experiences / problems doing it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've taken it off other bikes, not off my ZX-6R because it's only got about 2000 miles on it.

Basically back off your adjuster on the rear and push your tyre as far forward as it will go - you will need a paddock stand or something similar. With your fairing off, take off the front sprocket cover. Turn the rear wheel around slowly sliding the chain off the outside. Should come off in half to 3/4 of a wheel rotation.

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
303 Posts
OMFG, you actually want to take the chain off to clean it? I haven't tried it (nor do I want to), but here are the general steps as outlined in the service manual for J1s (assuming you don't have a removeable master link)

1. Remove chain cover + screws
2. Remove rear wheel
3. Remove swingarm
4. Remove engine sprocket cover

Don't forget to adjust the chain slack and wheel alignment when you reverse the procedure.

-2000 ZX-6R.....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Cailith, how did you get the chain past the swingarm pivot without removing the swingarm?

-2000 ZX-6R.....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hehe, I didn't take it all the way off the bike, I remember now (was a while ago [:I]). I was replacing the water pump, so I just dropped it and hung it.

Oops...

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Seriously dude, i don't wanna tell how to run your shit but, why take the chain off just to clean it?! I could understand if you were thinking of replacing it, or changing a sprocket, but not cleaning it.

Save yourself alot of time and just use a rag and some WD40 and a rear stand (if ya got one).

·
Registered
24 Posts
The reason that I want to take the chain off is because I don't think it has ever been cleaned in all the time that the previous fellow owned it. It is CAKED in junk, and it is too tedious to do link by link. I was hoping to take it off and dunk it in the solvent tank at work!

Thanks for all your replies...

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
If it's that bad why don't you just buy a new one? They aren't expensive.

NYC potholes SUCK!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.