Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 636. What size is the internal socket I need to unscrew the two internal nuts out (the large ones). Like I said I am takin the front wheel off so I can get my wheel straightened. Any tips will be helpful too regarding the condition of the bearings/axle when I get pictures up. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i just took my front wheel off to get new tires and i used long lug nuts to take off those huge allan nuts. i put them in the hole and used a wrench on the exposed part to undo the nuts. you will need to:

1. remove the nut on the left side of the bike.(right side can stay on axle) 2. undo pinch bolts (alan key) 3. take off both calipers. 3. the axle can now be pushed through. 4. pay attention to how the spacers fit onto the rim.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Even better yet, stick a spark plug socket in the hole, then put a socket extension (8") inside the spark plug socket so that it fits into the drive hole (square hole). Works great. I'm sure there are pics of it somewhere on this site as that's where I found it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought my 22mm hex socket from snap on since they were the only place I could find what I wanted. It was about $30. But it works great!

·
Registered
474 Posts
+1 for the motionpro tool... they are usually about $20 and worth it... might even be able to find them on ebay cheaper...

·
Registered
310 Posts
sears sells a craftsman version of a 22mm for like 12bucks...lifetime warranty

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just took my front wheel off with a home made tool. Sears doesn't carry the 22mm allen wrench anymore and none of the tool stores had one in stock including Granger. I needed the wheel off pronto to put new tires on for my first track day this weekend at the California Speedway. I spent all of $2.50 to make it. Here are the ingredients:

1 14mm 3" bolt with a 22mm head
2 14mm nuts (22mm outside dia)
1 lock washer

You can usually find a 22mm socket in the store to ensure the bolt and nut sizes are correct.

Lock the two nuts at the end of the bolt with the lock washer in between. Depending on if you are taking off the axle or putting it on turn the bolt around so that when turning the nuts are always locking into each other.

Worked like a charm. I'll post a pic when I get home.

Having a torque wrench sure makes it easy to loosen and tighten.

·
Registered
418 Posts
you can use it, but i am going out of town for a few days. it fits perfectly inside a 22mm socket. grab one of those and go down to auto zone and pick a few up. just make sure that they are long enough.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by SoCalTribal636
Just took my front wheel off with a home made tool. Sears doesn't carry the 22mm allen wrench anymore and none of the tool stores had one in stock including Granger. I needed the wheel off pronto to put new tires on for my first track day this weekend at the California Speedway. I spent all of $2.50 to make it. Here are the ingredients:

1 14mm 3" bolt with a 22mm head
2 14mm nuts (22mm outside dia)
1 lock washer

You can usually find a 22mm socket in the store to ensure the bolt and nut sizes are correct.

Lock the two nuts at the end of the bolt with the lock washer in between. Depending on if you are taking off the axle or putting it on turn the bolt around so that when turning the nuts are always locking into each other.

Worked like a charm. I'll post a pic when I get home.

Having a torque wrench sure makes it easy to loosen and tighten.
Never use a torque wrench to loosen bolts or nuts, you will ruin the accuracy of the torque wrench that way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.