Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone here with a 2003 ZX6R or ZX6RR is having trouble figuring out how to take off the mudguard assembly, I can probably save you a lot of time. I just got mine off (wow what a difference in how the bike looks!) and it wasn't quite as straightforward as I thought it was going to be.

Let me know, I'd be happy to walk you through it.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
118 Posts
What did you use for lights on the rear, I think you made the lic. plate bracket right! How did that turn out.
Jack

·
Registered
119 Posts
Originally posted by dj dunzie

If anyone here with a 2003 ZX6R or ZX6RR is having trouble figuring out how to take off the mudguard assembly, I can probably save you a lot of time. I just got mine off (wow what a difference in how the bike looks!) and it wasn't quite as straightforward as I thought it was going to be.

Let me know, I'd be happy to walk you through it.
If you could post some how-to tips here or e-mail me that would be awesome!! I got my blue '03 on the 13th and have been working a lot ever since so I haven't had a chance to really make an effort to remove it yet, but that is the first thing I plan to do. I did glance at the mounting and like you said, it looked like it might not be quite as simple as I thought it was going to be.

Here's my e-mail: [email protected]
or I'll just check this thread if it's easier for ya.

Thanks for the offer! :D

'03 blue zx-6r
pics & projects:
www.harbordive.com/josh/zx6r.htm ('03 pics coming soon)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1- Remove passenger seat / solo cowl
2- Undo bolt for front seat, slide lever, remove front seat
3- There are six black push-tabs underneath the rear fairing section. In order to remove these easily, there's a small center push-pin in the middle that pushes up if you use a small screwdriver (small robertson works) and tap it with a hammer, which makes pulling out the push-tab very easy even with fingers. Remove all six of these - this will allow the upper portion of the fairing tailsection to be removed from the lower section.
4- You can now remove the upper fairing tailsection. There are two snaps at the front ends, pull these out carefully. Once these are out, you need to sort of slide the whole section backwards a bit because the lower fairing and rear led light clip under the top section. Now remove the whole piece.
5- There are two hex bolts that screw into the two metal brackets (the side reflectors attach to these) - you access these through the storage compartment area through two small holes in the subframe top. You can see the heads if you shine a light down into these holes located just behind the storage tray. Using a hex key, undo these bolts.
6- The storage tray will come out, but ya gotta wiggle it and pressure it a bit.
7- The two metal brackets underneath the tail section are being held in by two more nuts that you can now see with the tray out. Undo these.
8- These two brackets are now only being held in place by two plastic push-tabs. Use a flat screwdriver to pry them out, and voila, off come the two brackets.
9- The only real thing holding the mudguard on now is the wiring. There are three connectors you need to undo on the right side of the subframe that run through a wire guide. There is one grey connector and two black ones controlling the rear signals and the licence plate light. Disconnect all three of 'em (label them if you want), and slide the wires out the hole in the undertail.
10- The mudguard should now come off in one complete piece.

Easy, wasn't it? Sucks when you can't figure out what you need to remove and in what order. Oh well, at least me farting around for so long may help somebody... unless you are more naturally gifted with tearing apart bikes than me...

Enjoy!

I'll post some pics of the finished tail end when I'm done. Still haven't decided on which signals I'm going with yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow! Awesome man, thanks! I can't wait to go home and get my hands on that rear end.. err... go to work on that tail... err ummm... well hey it IS damn sexy, gimme a break [:p]:D

Thanks again for the info, I'll post back w/ pics once it's done. [8D]

'03 blue zx-6r
pics & projects:
www.harbordive.com/josh/zx6r.htm ('03 pics coming soon)

·
Registered
115 Posts
JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I BOUGHT THE LICENCE KIT FROM TARGA AND AFTER READING THE INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED I DECIDED TO USE YOUR INSTRUCTIONS. REMOVING THE MUDGUARD WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH HARDER WITHOUT YOUR HELP. THANKS FOR THE INSTRUCTIONS. MY TARGA KIT HAD THE WRONG SIZE MOUNTING BOLTS AND THEY GAVE ME ALL MALE CONNECTORS SO I COULDN'T FINISH THE JOB. BESIDES THAT IT WILL BE WORTH IT BECAUSE IT LOOKS MUCH BETTER.

LUV2SURF
BLACK 2003 636

Originally posted by dj dunzie

1- Remove passenger seat / solo cowl
2- Undo bolt for front seat, slide lever, remove front seat
3- There are six black push-tabs underneath the rear fairing section. In order to remove these easily, there's a small center push-pin in the middle that pushes up if you use a small screwdriver (small robertson works) and tap it with a hammer, which makes pulling out the push-tab very easy even with fingers. Remove all six of these - this will allow the upper portion of the fairing tailsection to be removed from the lower section.
4- You can now remove the upper fairing tailsection. There are two snaps at the front ends, pull these out carefully. Once these are out, you need to sort of slide the whole section backwards a bit because the lower fairing and rear led light clip under the top section. Now remove the whole piece.
5- There are two hex bolts that screw into the two metal brackets (the side reflectors attach to these) - you access these through the storage compartment area through two small holes in the subframe top. You can see the heads if you shine a light down into these holes located just behind the storage tray. Using a hex key, undo these bolts.
6- The storage tray will come out, but ya gotta wiggle it and pressure it a bit.
7- The two metal brackets underneath the tail section are being held in by two more nuts that you can now see with the tray out. Undo these.
8- These two brackets are now only being held in place by two plastic push-tabs. Use a flat screwdriver to pry them out, and voila, off come the two brackets.
9- The only real thing holding the mudguard on now is the wiring. There are three connectors you need to undo on the right side of the subframe that run through a wire guide. There is one grey connector and two black ones controlling the rear signals and the licence plate light. Disconnect all three of 'em (label them if you want), and slide the wires out the hole in the undertail.
10- The mudguard should now come off in one complete piece.

Easy, wasn't it? Sucks when you can't figure out what you need to remove and in what order. Oh well, at least me farting around for so long may help somebody... unless you are more naturally gifted with tearing apart bikes than me...

Enjoy!

I'll post some pics of the finished tail end when I'm done. Still haven't decided on which signals I'm going with yet.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem Surf... glad it helped... and sorry to hear about the screwup with the Targa kit... hope they stand behind it and fix ya up right...

Yeah, once you figure out how to get the guard off the first time, it's really easy, but it's just a little work trying to figure out where and what to take off in what order and how... so that's what I wanted to give a little help with...

GOOD LUCK !

·
Registered
354 Posts
dj....thanks for the instruction....I change everthing this weekend...the whole process when very smooth...with out your instuctions I would have been lost.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah you wouldn't, just would've spent too long at it like I did trying to figure out what and when to take off... glad it helped...

·
Registered
207 Posts
DJ, I also want to say thanks a ton. I printed out ur instructions and plan on doing this after finals for school. I can already tell how much time u saved me.

--- '03 zx6r

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No probs at all... again that's why I posted it... so you smart guys don't waste time screwing around like this dumb guy (me)...

If you still have probs... send me a msg... I'll try to help more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank god I'm not the only one I posted a new post and then went in search for someone else that has had difficultys. I only had to search 5 pages back. Thank you so much and I can't wait to get home to get rid of that ugly bumper!!!

The trick I couldn't figure out was the rivets underneath, so pop the middle. COOL THANK YOU!

------
www.sbfreaks.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.