Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking my bike in, finally, for burning oil. I'm pretty sure it's going to be because the rings didn't set right (that's what I get for following their breakin procedure). I took my bike in for the first service (600miles) so they wouldn't try and play with my warranty. I have about 7200 miles on it, now. I already removed the sprocket to take away the temptation of voiding my warranty. I also have a Jardine bolt on and a K&N air filter. Do you guys think I should take any of those off before taking it in Thursday? I don't want to give them an excuse to void it, because I won't be able to buy another motor if that IS the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a quick question if you will. Exactly how far off of proper break in were you? Just asking cause while I wasn't exactly road racing on track day off the show room floor. I wasn't an angel either. Can you elaborate on your habits during break in?

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
put it back to stock, when you get there to pick it up after all the work is done, say to them you have seen a few nice aftermarket parts (exhaust, seat cowl, foot pegs etc) would these void your warranty should you HAVE them put on (not doing it yourself). If you list the exhaust within a list of other minor parts they may say no your fine to do that (you elay suspicion if you list minor things).

hope that helps

Russ

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by LittleScreamingGuy
I have a quick question if you will. Exactly how far off of proper break in were you? Just asking cause while I wasn't exactly road racing on track day off the show room floor. I wasn't an angel either. Can you elaborate on your habits during break in?
I followed it by the book to the last mile, but I found this and a lot of my friends break in their new engines for their cars this way..

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

And thanks, Deathace, that helped.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I dont think we did the heatcycles on your bike correctly, we never let it cool down in between rides. Im hoping they help you on your engine.. I dont want you begging me to ride my bike while yours is in the shop either .. :D

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
The mototune approach works well...I've built my own motors for a decade and do it that same way or just pounding on the race track....my pistons skirts always looked good, and my engines have low leak down numbers. Some friends in college were drag racers, and they did a similar thing - 10 WOT runs to redline, done...run it. Break in is almost trivial these days with the capabilities of machining equipment...you are seating rings and little else.

Anyway, they should perform a compression test AND a leak down test. A leak down test applies air to the cylinder at a fixed pressure, and the prssure in teh cylinder is measured too...the difference is measured in a percent....the four cylinders should be similar, and single digits...like 4-7% at most. If it is higher, it will be evident were it is going...out a valve, past the rings, etc.

The crank case vent could be plugged, or bad valve seals....I really doubt the rings are bad...but I could be wrong.

Yes, put it back to stock to bring it in...I wouldn't be concerned with cosmetic accessories.

Good luck....
John

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmph, granted this subject was brought up from the dead, it's an ongoing problem because the shop claimed they couldn't see that it was burning oil. Now that I have oil not in the sight glass from having it's level marked 550 miles ago, it's going back in Saturday. But, I completely forgot about the other potential problems. I can usually find my way around diag on stuff like this, but when it comes to my own machines, I tend to get single tracked and stuck in a box. I'll mention those possibilities to the shop.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehe. I took care of ur WOT for ya. I didn't get to go to the extreme as the mototune page for ur sake, but let it engine break to 4500rpm, WOT 6000rpm, repeat, all the way home from the shop.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Originally posted by PostaL cm
hehe. I took care of ur WOT for ya. I didn't get to go to the extreme as the mototune page for ur sake, but let it engine break to 4500rpm, WOT 6000rpm, repeat, all the way home from the shop.
Ugh.. That didnt look like a fun ride at all, I wish I could of rode it from the shop.. It is better to have you ride it then to take the chance of getting that ticket that they have inforced now .. :( All the years of riding a bike and I have never been pulled over, THANK GOD !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.