Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Ninja ZX-6R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say I remove the camcap before the camchain tensioner. Will that cause serious damage to something?

I'm now unable to put the camcap and camtensioner back on. Three things are happening that are all new:

1.) When I started to tighten down the camcap, the camchain starts to come off of one of the cam sprockets- it starts to create slack. I've had to hold down the center of the camchain to prevent his.

2.) When I put my finger in the tensioner hole to see if I'm at TDC, the crankshaft rotates past TDC and I have to start all over.

3.) When I am able to tighten everything down, I am unable to get the camchain tensioner back in. The camchain is already so taught that it won't go fully in, even though it's reset and fully retracted.

I really have no explanation other than some type of damage. I don't see a kink in the chain, and can't' imagine it's off a sprocket at the crankshaft. I can succesfully rotate the camchain several rotations and have inspected the chain as I do. The only thing I can think of is that I've damaged the actual plastic tensioner piece that pushes against the camchain, but it works fine whenever everything is loose. I'm able to finger tighten the loose chain just fine before I put the camcap on and start tigthening. I'm totally stumped.

I'm clearly in over my head with this valve adjustment and it seems like I've made every mistake I could have made and then some. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you done this type of job before? On your bike or any others?
It seems like you have bc of the language you’re using to describe your situation. I ask only to make sure that you made sure to count the dimples on the chain to make sure that the timing is where it should be. Do you have the manual?

·
Registered
2005 Ninja ZX-6R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike,
Thanks for responding. I was able to get it all worked out and now the bike is running beautifully. I rode it for the first time Friday.

This was my first valve adjustment, but I made a lot of mistakes, so was forced to become extremely familiar with everything to solve problems. I must have taken off and put on the camcap at least 9 times haha

1 - 3 of 3 Posts