Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 2007 ninja 650r and am looking to plastidip it. But i would like to do the rear spring as well. Does anyone have any experience with the removal of the rear suspension!? thanks.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Its pretty straightforward. Just have something to hold the bike and swingarm. Once you pull the shock the swingarm is gunna drop down.

If you have rear and front stands. Use a car jack with a block of wood to support the bike in the middle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks! How easy is it to remove the spring from the shock in order to paint it?
If you have the right tools its very easy, if you don't, it can be very hard (not to mention dangerous).

I've removed them with ratchet tie down straps in the past but the last time I removed one, I took the time to make a spring compressor, this worked great and saved my fingers, as well as my time!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Thanks! How easy is it to remove the spring from the shock in order to paint it?
i really have no idea; i've never tried to take the spring off an oem shock.

aftermarket shocks are easy to swap. idk if its the same for oem.

worst comes to worst, you can mask off what you dont want paint on. in my mind that might actually be difficult and time consuming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well considering its plastidip i think ill just paint the whole shock and spring and just peel off the stuff i dont want painted! thanks guys

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used plastic bags/ trash bags and paint tape to tape off my bike. Sometimes if you dont spray enough layers it doesnt peel off so easy. A plastic scrap tool works good to get to parts you didnt spray very thick or you could use 2k grit sand paper as long as you wet it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts