Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fairly simple. First thing to do is to safely prop the bike up and make sure its stable at both the front and the back. Don't need the bike falling over when you're about to remove the last bolt in the engine.

Remove the gas tank and airbox first, and remove and label all the hoses and wires on the top end of the engine.

Remove radiator and all cooling lines.

Remove and label wiring on the bottom and rear end of the engine.

Remove the exhaust system.

Put a jack and some sort of board under the engine to help support it, then remove the engine mount bolts and lower the motor. Best to have a second set of hands help you with this part.

Installation is the reverse of removal, but much harder, and more frustrating.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks for the info

ive got another question, does anybody know if a g1 engine and a j1 engine are a straight swap?
do all the electrics plug straight in, is the ignition pick up the same, also where is the timing rotor?

thanks

dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
hello, lads

ive got a zx6 g1 and my engine recently gave up on me. I got a engine off a j1 and wanted to know how hard it would be to remove the old lump and replace it. has anyone done this and if so could you give me some advice on how to do this. (havent got money to take it to shop)

cheerz

dave

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2000 motor should beable to bolt into the '98 frame, without any worries, but don't sue me if that isn't the case.

You might need to swap the rotors from the two engines since that part changed in 2000, and possibly even the wiring harness for the pic up coil. Plus, you have to use the ignition system from the '98 engine (coil packs and spark plug wires) sincee the ignition coil sticks that came on the 2000 engine won't work with your ignition box.

Now if you were to pick up a wiring harness from a 2000 model bike, then all you would need to do is swap the wiring harnesses, and then there's no worries.

I'll get back to you on the location of the pick up coil and rotor. I have to go into my garage and look at the spare 2000 motor I have sitting in a milk crate (don't tell the NYPD I'm illegally using a milkcrate, I don't want a $115 ticket like they gave some guy sitting on the street in front of his house).

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looked at the engine. As far as I can tell, the pick up coil is located under the small engine cover with 6 bolts in it on the right side of the engine. Its in front of the big cover that has the oil fill cap in it.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thankz for that.:D

going to try and swap the engine this weekend ill let you know how i got on. whats the number for the police again...[:eek:)]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.