Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I was getting ready to Polish my Lime Green rims (I bet they will sell faster that way) so I took off the tires.

First I called around a few shops and the price ranged from $20 - $40 a wheel with the rims already off the bike.

I need money so I decided to do it myself. My buddy has a car tire changer thingamajig so I brought them over his place.

I broke the bead sprayed wd40 all over the rim, used his tire irons and off it came.. less than 10 minutes and no scratched on the rim / damage to the tires..

After doing this I don't see why anyone should ever pay a dealer to do this. Its just too easy...

So now I have a set of BT 010 for sale with less than 1000 miles on them.

Someone expressed interest in them, I just have to take pics to prove their condition.

·
Registered
695 Posts
which brings me to a question...can the 026Rs rims be polished? I've heard you can't polish 'em.

If I lose, then you cheated.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hey,
Great idea using the auto tire changer.
I never thought of trying it.
Thanks for sharing it.

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That would be me, and it is a tire changer with a motorcycle tire adaptor slapped on top. Total cost was about $75-80 for both parts.

His tires came off like butter, especially the second one. We didn't even have to use the bead removal tool on it.

And his tires are in pristine condition.

I don't remember what he said he wanted to get for the both of them, but it was a pretty good deal. Maybe he will post that info.

BC.

Edited by - bladecutter on 10/07/2002 15:17:34

Edited by - bladecutter on 10/07/2002 15:18:04

·
Registered
778 Posts
quote:
which brings me to a question...can the 026Rs rims be polished? I've heard you can't polish 'em.
Sure you can, its nice and shiny under that paint (YES PAINT) some paint stripper, steel wool, thinner and elbow grease and you're in business. Bling Blinging and shit!!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
thanks local!

I heard somewhere in these forums that the 02s used something other than paint and that polishing them is alot harder than if it was just paint on the rims.

If I lose, then you cheated.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It is not a good idea to use WD-40 to take off tires. It is really petroleum base (stoddard solvent kinda like kerosene). You are supposed to use special rubber lubricant or soapy water. I wonder if KY would work?

·
Registered
322 Posts
bladecutter:
What kind of tire changer did you use?
It may be worth it for me to buy one.

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Its quite simply called a Manual Tire Changer by Central Machinery. That is the main unit, and cost me $35 from Harbor Freight Tools. You also have to pick up the Motorcycle Tire Attachment for it, and that will set you back another $40.

Big radials from large sport bikes seem to come off fairly easy with this kit, but the tires from my Ninja 250 are a chore. Must be the stiffer sidewalls used on bias-ply tires versus radials for the larger bikes...

A couple friends have suggested that with all the work I do on their bikes, I should just open up a motorcycle repair shop. Of course they still want the work done to their bikes to be free of charge, though ;)

BC.

·
Registered
322 Posts
bladecutter:
Thanks for the info. I found it on Harbor Freight. I guess the price went up but one of my friends wants to split it with me.

BTW: I'm sure your friends are paying in beer....right?

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't drink, gave that up a while ago.

It seems that I get to strip down their bikes as payment after they crash. Whole lotta fun doing that. Plus, as a side bonus, I seem to be getting their motors to sell after the bike's been parted off. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

Plus, I get cool guys to go riding with, when they have bikes that are intact.

BC.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Parts is worth it.
Especially if you're having fun doing it.

Unfortunately, by usual riding partner has a Yamaha.

So I put up the good fight with the Kawi racing banners, etc.

Ford/Chevy = Kawi/Yami

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.