Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i'm on a 08' 250R and i have a tank pad, it says 'Ninja' on it, i'm not sure of the brand (i assume kawasaki, but i'm not 100%) the previous owner put it on.

Anyways, the top right corner is pealing off the tank and its quite annoying. I'm wondering what kind of glue I should use to repair this? I used RTV sealer, and nothing, if anything I made it worse. I'm hoping someone has had this problem before and could help. (even though I wouldn't wish it on you)

I'm contemplating getting a progrip pad, and ditching this one (even though I like the fact it says ninja on it) But i'd like to do a quick fix until i have to progrip in my hands.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Just get a new one. They're cheap and this one was probably not put on correctly. The last thing you want to do is use some glue the ruins the tank's paint

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I was afraid of. I went to dennis kirk and I couldn't find any, d2moto doesn't have any in stock.

Any other places I should look for a decent one that will last?

-thanks enzo.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
they are most all about the same. a lot if it is in the prep work, if you clean and degrease the area good, then it shouldnt peal. if it does peal, it means that you either didnt clean the area good, or missed a spot.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Tank pads are a dime a dozen. You can buy any of them for $10 on eBay. If you don't like yesterday's look it's nothing to peel it off and replace it. I just installed a chinese "Ninja" pad only because it was one of the few I could find in red. If you're looking for a quality pad that will last, you should go for a name brand like "ProGrip" or "Targa", seen here:

http://www.surfsidemoto.com/store/product/PMGPGTP.html

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
my ebay one peeled back after some time. now i got the good one that starts with a "P" forgot what it is. progrip? anyways it sticks way better than my old one. make sure you get all the wax off the area too before applying it. that wax will cause it to peel off to. Wax as in from waxign your bike

·
Powerhungry
37,898 Posts
im not sure of the brand. pro girp..maybe.
but mines been on since i got it. over 3 yrs/21xxx miles.

not a single edge has lifted yet.
i think itd be a PITA to remove it too.

but it was FAR from cheap. i dont remember exactly how much, but i remember thinking.."damn, that MUCH for that little thing!"

·
Powerhungry
37,898 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Hey, i'm on a 08' 250R and i have a tank pad, it says 'Ninja' on it, i'm not sure of the brand (i assume kawasaki, but i'm not 100%) the previous owner put it on.

Anyways, the top right corner is pealing off the tank and its quite annoying. I'm wondering what kind of glue I should use to repair this? I used RTV sealer, and nothing, if anything I made it worse. I'm hoping someone has had this problem before and could help. (even though I wouldn't wish it on you)

I'm contemplating getting a progrip pad, and ditching this one (even though I like the fact it says ninja on it) But i'd like to do a quick fix until i have to progrip in my hands.

Thanks guys.
I wouldn't use RTV on any painted areas of your bike. RTV is somewhat corrosive. As it cures, it releases some kind of acid. Just my .02.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts