Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it happened. the one thing that ive always feared happened. i was on 49th street between 6th and 7th avenue in manhattan and there were all these rutts and potholes in the street. i came up on them kind of quick and when i got caught in this 3 inch deep rutt that was about 20 feet long the handlebars starting slappping real violently. i knew i was gonna go down. i didnt panic, i just downshifted and went easy on the break to try and slow it down and i went off prob around 35mph. i got real lucky. my head was the first thing to hit and my helmet did its job 100%, i didnt even get a headache! got roadrash all over my knees. forearms, shoulders and elbows and somehow my foot got caught under the bike and busted it. so now im hobbling around with a walker and super depressed. they towed my bike and its in some lot up on the upper east side. i didnt get to see the bike but after i was discharged from the hospital i went back to the scene and i could see all the oil that had come out all over the place. my friend that was riding directly behind me said that i was real lucky and i have to agree with him. ive fallen before but that was def the most scary time. a complete lack of control no matter how hard i tried to regain. a sense of helplessness. im also lucky i didnt get run over my my friend who was behind me or a car. argh, this sucks. time to take some vicodins. everyone make sure you wear your gear and get stabilizers, i really wish i had one, maybe it would have stopped this, who knows.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Man, I couldn't imagine what that would feel like, scary I'm thinking. Glad you're not "too" broken up man, Good job wearing your gear!

Stay Safe, and don't fall in love with the vicodins :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
That really sucks. When I lived in the city I saw a guy on a gixxer 750 get plowed down by a cab, and it was less than 35 mph and he got messed up big time. Luckily you weren't run over, that is a busy part of town. Good luck healing, and let us know what the bike looks like when you finally inspect it.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by mattyesco

i knew i was gonna go down. i didnt panic, i just downshifted and went easy on the break to try and slow it down and i went off prob around 35mph.
How do you downshift in a full-on slapper? Did you use the clutch?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Damn, that is two blocks away from me. Agreed, these streets around here are crap. I have yet to fall but can't help feeling like it will happen on these roads. Get well soon.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey Mattyesco
get well soon.

yeah NYC roadwork and potholes suck ass......

they've been doing road work for the last 2 freaking years in my neighborhood in BayRidge brooklyn.
Stupid city contractors were supposed to replaced the old sewer mains.
and after they finished, they realized that the new mains were SMALLER then the originall!
So they had to dig up everythign and start over! fuckign tax dollars at work!

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I remember my signature when I first started on this sit e was "NYC Potholes Suck!"

That's still the case.

Sorry to hear about what happened. I was looking forward to hooking up with you to ride. Hopefully you'll get back into shape soon and maybe get a brand spankin new 04?
I'm also curious about how you downshifted.
Speaking of tankslappers, does anyone know what, if any, technique there is to survive one?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Twist the throttle enough to get the front wheel off the ground. (If you can do it before your hand flies off) Otherwise pray to the motorcycle Goddess.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I wonder if you can sue the city? Might not hurt to talk to an attorney. My aunt got the front axle of her car hung up on a manhole in Milwaukee when they were doing road construction. The accident really messed her up and the city paid. Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe your insurance company will go after the city. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Matt,

Sorry to hear that happened bro, and glad you came out of it without more serious injuries.

Potholes suck, there needs to be a 1-800-POT-HOLE number or something that people can call to see to it the cities get those fixed.

Glad you were wearing gear. Gear saves lives.

Keep us posted.

-Flash

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.