Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2002 ZX6-R (J1) for nearly two weeks now and I notice a gentle tappet-like noise, particularly around 4,000rpm when the throttles closes (to cut down the exhaust note).
The bike is not even two years old yet, has 2,500 miles on the clock and has been looked after. It's only had the 500 mile service.
Is this noise normal? I guess I'm just being paranoid!

Silver/Black ZX6-R (2000 J1)

"Come on you R's!"

(That's 'Queens Park Rangers', an English football (soccer) club!)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Didnt you just buy that bike? You should take that down to a shop and have them listen to it..... I have a 2000 ZX6R with 4K on it and it does not make any kind of tapping like that. I just hope that the "tapping" is not why the guy sold the bike. IMO get that looked at bc it could be the sound of a bad spring in the heads/valves, I had that once in my car, that would only do it at certain rpms. Good Luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
HI I OWN A 02 J2 MODEL WITH 3500 MILES ON IT RATTLES ON PICK UP UP TO4500RPM THIS I THINK IS A WORN CAMSHAFT BEARING ? ITIS BOOKED INTO YEAH YOU GUEST IT CARNNEL MOTORCYCLE CITY RIOSSI WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO CALL EM THEY SAID THEY SUFFER WITH CARB SLIDE VIBRATION BUT I NOW ITS MORE THAN THAT WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON

sdprentice

·
Registered
226 Posts
I get a little rattle noise down on the gearbox (not sure where) around 3500-4000 rpm, and my bike is brand-new. Also, I've heard it on the bike I rode in the test-drive, and that one had 3000 miles only. So, I guess it's normal. I have a 636...

Wilder than the wildest dreams!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
yeah the zx-6r engine are kinda noisy engines compared to Honda....

if the sound isn't very pronounced, you are probably ok....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 636 makes the same bloody noise, only has 4500km on it. Started getting louder after 1000km service. It's normal but bloody embarrasing.

2002 Green 636 ..Beep,Beep..

·
Registered
768 Posts
Buy a louder pipe and you'll never notice.

Might be the cams.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
20 Posts
this is what my mechanic told me...he's been prepping all my bikes for 3 yrs and i trust him lots cos everything he says has been spot on...any way , he said:..."its a kawasaki"...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.