Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - it's been a while since I rode. If memory serves me correctly there were far fewer tar snakes ten years ago than I see today. Hitting these this scares the be-geezers out of me, especially on corners So for all you seasoned riders, how dangerous are these things, or are they for the most part harmless?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Living in FL tar snakes have always been common place due to the fact that our roads expand and contract so much with the sudden temp changes after being 95+ outside all day and then having sudden downpours in the afternoon. I haven't had any issues with tar snakes even in the rain. This is no thanks to my tires either. I still have the same tires on my 06 250 that the bike came with. I suppose that this is because pretty much all the roads in the area are topped with tar in the first place so it’s not like there is a big difference in surface material when they go to patch it. If your roads are concrete and then you run over some tar snakes I can see how it would be a little iffy but shouldn't be much of an issue really.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
i've hit a few in my days, but nothing that put me down, we got a lot of them popping up here from the winter last year where the ground would freeze then thaw & repeat itself, they can be pretty dangerous & the roads that have them no matter how good they are i'll still take it easy, as long as its not super hot or wet out you should be able to roll through them very easily & w/o even a shake

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
in Chicago we have potholes the size of cars, so worse things to worry about ha.
you got that right, we rode out there a few times & i'm sure one of them is the culprit to my bent front rim :cussing:

·
Registered
679 Posts
you got that right, we rode out there a few times & i'm sure one of them is the culprit to my bent front rim :cussing:

Damn that sucks, I almost wiped out once hitting one on a highway on ramp.

THe city has a line you can call if you vehicle is damaged by a pothole. They send out a tow truck or whatever and then will pay for repair. But who has time to wait an hour or so for someone to show up?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
theres a good amount of tar snakes here. i was making a left hand turn into my job one time this summer and it was really hot out and i could feel it slide. i was only going like 15 into the turn though

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Damn that sucks, I almost wiped out once hitting one on a highway on ramp.

THe city has a line you can call if you vehicle is damaged by a pothole. They send out a tow truck or whatever and then will pay for repair. But who has time to wait an hour or so for someone to show up?
yea & i doubt they'll order a new wheel from kawi for me, i'll just send it out at the end of the year but damn, for the record i haven't been back on the bikr OR in the truck since :D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
somebody hit me with a picture of a tarsnake or a definition or something. Got any idea and I'm too lazy to google it as I'm leaving in like 10 minutes!

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
they are just black strips of tar in the road to seal cracks

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
this is the kind I'm used to seeing

of course I live in Michigan where the roads really suck.
Those things will make your tires slide, especially when its hot because they get soft. I personally haven't gone down because of them, but a few guys I know have, mostly because they were running a curve hard and just lost it.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Unfortunately the top part of Palomar has them too. I always slow down a little on the top 1/3 or so, but a lot of guys don't. I've even felt my corsa III's squirm a little going over them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
this is the kind I'm used to seeing

of course I live in Michigan where the roads really suck.
Those things will make your tires slide, especially when its hot because they get soft. I personally haven't gone down because of them, but a few guys I know have, mostly because they were running a curve hard and just lost it.
The highway at the end of our street looks like that... the problem is two fold. 1- our street intersects it at a super sharp angle, so im always turning over them in a V turn and 2- they are fawking 1-2" tall!!!!!!!

There are tar snakes everywere in this area and ive never seen them as poorly done as this.Everywere else they are flush with the highway surface. Turning onto my street coming home from work will make you crap your pants unless you slow down to walking speed. The bike just scoots and wallows over them... you dont really ever get used to it.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
the smaller ones will be ok, but the thick ones are the ones you gotta watch out for, if your going fast its not gonna be as prone to do it because your gonna go over it pretty quickly, the slower curved ones are the ones i'd be worried about

·
Registered
145 Posts
on hot days the oil comes to the surface of them and if it rains on a hot day becareful itll wash the oils on the road for about the first 20-30 mins. as long as your thinkin when you go over them usually they cause no problems

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
there are tons of them around here and i've never had a problem up until recently. i just moved to a pretty rural area and my street is a back road with some nice curves. one morning i was going a little quick on my way to work and i noticed a little slippage but it could have been cuz i was on cold tires. i have pp's on my bike and i've never slipped on them before or since that incident. i would be careful anytime you have to lean the bike while going over them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts