Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Targa fender eliminator kit on friday and started working on it today. After using instructions I found on this site(thanks guys), I removed the rear tail section. After all that work, it appeared as though the kit I received really wasn't made for my bike. Has anybody else had to do any major modifications to make the Targa kit work for them? None of the holes line up, so I had to make new holes for the whole bracket. It will end up still looking pretty smooth, but I feel like it could have been a lot easier. I probably just got something made for another bike, but I'm real impatient, so rather than haggle with them I'll just make what I got work. Anyway, just thought I'd let everybody know, make sure it is specifically for your bike befor you order it. Also, a little while back I picked up some of the LP flushmount V's, and while they look great, don't waste your time. Unless you want to spend time gluing the things on your fairing with who knows what, just order some of the cateye kind that mount via plastic screw on bodies, and be done.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Tyler,

A undertail for a different bike would not fit your bike at all. You surely got the right one. Undertails are just hard to mount period, because you are fitting them into a space and under the edge of the rear section where nothing was supposed to fit into anyway. They can't make the edges too thin, or it would crack.

I have a Pyramid undertail and I had to drill out the two stay screw underneath otherwise those two screws wouldn't fit and the undertail would only stay on the bike on one iside at a time, the other side would keep popping out.

So an undertail is a pain in the ass type job with one person, get a helper if you can, otherwise it's a bitch to get those things on.

An undertail is well worth it, I get more compliments on the undertail than I thought.

And I agree on the glue on stuff, I pass on all that.

-Flash

·
Registered
251 Posts
My fender eliminator kit from Targa lined up perfectly and the whole job took about 2o minutes. I also used the same cateye front markers with the nylon bolt for the front and they worked great. I bet that Targa sent you the wrong fender eliminator it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I thought they sent me the wrong one too. I ended up just drilling some small holes to make it work. It worked out ok because I used the original holes to remount the bracket with the tie down hooks on it. This way I still have a place to hang my bungee. No big deal, but probably would have been easier if it matched up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.