Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some of us western pa'ers are looking to do a few track days with team promotion, specifically thunderbolt and summit point. I am however confused as hell on their offerings. What are the bronze, silver and full throttle offerings? I am not understanding them.

We are looking to do what ever is the next level above beginner(for TMP). The Motoseries events we have ran out this way are mostly mixed. The beginners is literally first or second track day guys, the open/intermediate is pretty slow in comparison to other areas (assumption). One of the kids I did beginner with the a month back before this one was passing 50% of the intermediate guys when he moved up this weekend and I am quite a bit faster than he is.

I guess my question is: I want to ride in the intermediate group that is the step up from beginner now with TPM what do i sign up as?

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
The bronze, silver, full throttle is your membership, which have nothing to do with what level you ride. You can sign up for Full Throttle and be in the beginners spot. When you sign up for whatever membership you want, then you get to choose which track day you want and which level you want. After you choose the level it'll ask why you want to be in that level. I chose white group (beginners) and stated "this is my first track day". If you're an experienced track rider, then sign up for red (intermediate) or blue (expert) and explain that you know your way around a race track. If you haven't been to the track you sign up for, I suggest you go one lap or so with the beginners to see where the race line is and get a feel for what to expect. Then go play with the other kids. Lol.

Also the memberships dictate what each track day will cost you. I chose bronze because I wasn't sure how may track days I would be able to make considering my move and work schedule. It was the cheapest.

Here's the catch though. If it's your first track day with TPM, then they will put you through the ART school. I would suggest signing up and then when you show up for your track day explain to one of the coaches that you don't want/need the ART school and explain why.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,114 Posts
My buddy just joined TPM. He last was a member with TPM back in ’05 when he rode intermediate group. His name fell out of their system so they had no record of him. He asked to be in intermediate and they wanted some proof of track experience. So, he got some paperwork from NESBA, stating he was riding intermediate with them and he faxed it to them. I don’t think they will just put you in the red (intermediate) group based on you saying “I’m fast enough.” Ask Amby or BubbleBoy as they are currently riding with TPM.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
prs is right; they won't put you in red or even blue just because you're fast.

As explained to me by several coaches who were shooting the shit with me on particularly annoying riders who thought that just because they were fast, they would be thrown in red and even blue.
  • Speed is just one of the components.
  • Lines are very important. If you don't understand the lines or just aren't consistent (if you blow a line, sure, it happens, it's fine but you get the idea about being consistent).
  • You also need to be able to exhibit maturity out there, namely mature passing, aka no weaving left and right trying to pass some slower people. Know when and where to pass and do it in one shot instead of being unpredictable to the people behind you by weaving left and right.
  • On the same tone as maturity, don't be an asshole out there. Don't cut in front of a whole pack of people right before a turn and then slam your brakes thus canning the people behind you.
  • Riding within your limits aka no riding as though you were about to lose control of the bike. Coaches have denied many promotions to fast people despite them exhibited red group speed because they obviously were riding beyond their limits and were going to lose it sooner rather than later.

Those sort of things. It's not an exhaustive list but those are the points that coaches keep repeating over and over.

·
13,060 Posts
BTW from what I know, generally a piece of paper from NESBA saying you're intermediate isn't enough in and of itself.

They'll usually just have a coach follow you for at least a lap or so just to make sure you are indeed red or blue group.

·
13,060 Posts
Do you have some particular problem with me, Ninja650r2009?
If you do, I'd like to resolve it right here, right now.

Tell me what's on your mind; otherwise, shut your mouth and quit with the snarky attitude.

Or, actually say something pertinent to the topic at hand.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
i'm sorry, i just am jealous of your daytona 675, thats all- can you post up some pics? or whats the status, i see your banner...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My buddy just joined TPM. He last was a member with TPM back in ’05 when he rode intermediate group. His name fell out of their system so they had no record of him. He asked to be in intermediate and they wanted some proof of track experience. So, he got some paperwork from NESBA, stating he was riding intermediate with them and he faxed it to them. I don’t think they will just put you in the red (intermediate) group based on you saying “I’m fast enough.” Ask Amby or BubbleBoy as they are currently riding with TPM.

i have a cert saying i finished the riding school at motoseries, i do not know if that will suffice. i actually did the school twice. that is why i am asking for your opinions. I am not here to brag just stating I am to fast for the beginners sessions and it is not worth $150+ for me to do beginner sessions because it is not enjoyable for me.

Our group's speed causes alot of issues with the motoseries beginners sessions because we push our control rider to go very fast. two in our small individual beginners group crashed this weekend trying to keep up.. i do not want to feel guilty about that kinda thing, but i want to run as fast as i possible can for $150 dollars.

·
13,060 Posts
whatever, Ninja650r2009

Have fun being your usual douche self

Block

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
prs is right; they won't put you in red or even blue just because you're fast.

As explained to me by several coaches who were shooting the shit with me on particularly annoying riders who thought that just because they were fast, they would be thrown in red and even blue.
  • Speed is just one of the components.
  • Lines are very important. If you don't understand the lines or just aren't consistent (if you blow a line, sure, it happens, it's fine but you get the idea about being consistent).
  • You also need to be able to exhibit maturity out there, namely mature passing, aka no weaving left and right trying to pass some slower people. Know when and where to pass and do it in one shot instead of being unpredictable to the people behind you by weaving left and right.
  • On the same tone as maturity, don't be an asshole out there. Don't cut in front of a whole pack of people right before a turn and then slam your brakes thus canning the people behind you.
  • Riding within your limits aka no riding as though you were about to lose control of the bike. Coaches have denied many promotions to fast people despite them exhibited red group speed because they obviously were riding beyond their limits and were going to lose it sooner rather than later.

Those sort of things. It's not an exhaustive list but those are the points that coaches keep repeating over and over.
aye, lines are why i usually run beginners at new tracks i ride.

edit:
it might just be better to stick with one company atleast until next season then. we pretty much got told not to sign up for beginners on the next motoseries day so i will just run their intermidiates until next season.

·
13,060 Posts
i have a cert saying i finished the riding school at motoseries, i do not know if that will suffice. i actually did the school twice. that is why i am asking for your opinions. I am not here to brag just stating I am to fast for the beginners sessions and it is not worth $150+ for me to do beginner sessions because it is not enjoyable for me.

Our group's speed causes alot of issues with the motoseries beginners sessions because we push our control rider to go very fast. two in our small individual beginners group crashed this weekend trying to keep up.. i do not want to feel guilty about that kinda thing, but i want to run as fast as i possible can for $150 dollars.
Hard to say, honestly.

They won't stick you with white (beginner) group for the entire day. Just for one session which is a good idea anyways to learn the lines.

You'll get your own coach and they are evaluating just you to make sure you belong in the group you're applying for.

btw the bolded part of the sentence, I'd just keep that to myself. The coaches would probably look down on an attitude like that (mainly because they might feel you're focusing on going fast as opposed to doing it right).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol i cant do it right if i come up on a guy braking so hard in the turn that i almost slam into him(cause i am not allowed to pass him). you dont know me personally so i understand where you are coming from, but i am super humble about my experience and where i sit on the ladder of track "fast'ness".

ill rephrase. "i want to run as fast as comfortable for me for $150, with out pushing myself a little bit i can not learn anymore".

·
Thats how I get down baby
1,287 Posts
i want to ride with TPM next year... BB how much have you paid thus far and how expensive is it to do a track day say...every other weekend?

one of your meticulous breakdowns would be greatly appreciated lol

·
13,060 Posts
Oh, I'm not criticizing your attitude, riding, or skill level.

I'm just telling you what the coaches might think if they are evaluating you.

I have a track buddy who runs blue (advanced) speed according to him but the coaches denied him a bump to even red group (intermediate) because of his attitude and impatience, not to mention his lines were inconsistent according to the coach.

·
45,114 Posts
BTW from what I know, generally a piece of paper from NESBA saying you're intermediate isn't enough in and of itself.

They'll usually just have a coach follow you for at least a lap or so just to make sure you are indeed red or blue group.

He mentioned to me in over the phone so maybe I didn’t get the whole story. I think the paper got him “registered” in the red group, whether or not they’ll evaluate him on the track I don’t know but he’s a good intermediate rider. I think he signed up for the ART II school as well (or whatever they call it) so that may have played a roll too.

I was a red group rider with TPM too but I may have also fallen out of their system so I may have to go white if/when I run with them again. No biggie.

·
13,060 Posts
i want to ride with TPM next year... BB how much have you paid thus far and how expensive is it to do a track day say...every other weekend?

one of your meticulous breakdowns would be greatly appreciated lol
Haha, it's expensive. It'd be cheaper for me to be addicted to crack, I imagine.
Hit me up for sure if you decide to ride the track.

I don't want to go back into my records and see how much I've spent. I'd scare the shit out of myself, suffice to say I've spent at least a grand on track fees, not including ancillary purchases of track plastics, etc.

For a given track day, say $150 a day with the Full Throttle membership.

Ancillary Expenses per day
Trailer Rental ~$15
Food ~$20 (a good dinner gives me the energy to ride the next day)
Gas for bike ~$15 (and this only goes up as you go faster)

Expenses getting to and from the track
Gas to and from ~$60
Tolls ~$20

Expenses I haven't been able to break down
Tires $250+ a set

To save money and also because I like to get multiple days in, I do back to back days.
Costs obviously go down if you rideshare, etc.

Wow, that was pretty scary listing out all those expenses in one place.

·
45,114 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts