Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. You guys are great here.
Well, just wanted to ask you about my fear of diving into corners. Have 06 636 and been riding this one for 2 months. It's all stock including tires. I have had F4i, and some older naked bike models before for total of 4 years ridng experience pretty much for commuting. But my total canyon riding experience is less than 6 month.
Seems I over hesitate or slow down at entrance or during corners. I often go wide and have to slow down to prevent it. Not ridng assmoothly as I want to. I've read couple books and know about hand to eye coordination but men, sometimes it's tough to dive into a turn.

For canyon riding,

1 Do you keep rpm up at 7-8K in both up and down hills?
2 What do you do besides using abs and put your weigh on pegs for smooth downhill ride?
3 Do you worry about skidding at all when you see some debris?

I ride alone now so I won't push myself riding with others. But I do want to get to group riding level soon!! Any tips will be highly appreciated!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by fastar
But my total canyon riding experience is less than 6 month.
Seems I over hesitate or slow down at entrance or during corners. I often go wide and have to slow down to prevent it. Not ridng assmoothly as I want to. I've read couple books and know about hand to eye coordination but men, sometimes it's tough to dive into a turn.
Bro, if you are gowing wide on turns then you need to slow down. Keep your speed at a constant rate and get to know the roads. Don't be the guy who guns it mach 2 on the straights only to break down to 15mph because there is a turn. Take your time and work on being smooth not fast...'Slow is smooth and smooth is fast-slow is fast' Check out 'Sport riding techniques, by Nick Ienatsch' - A great read.
For canyon riding,

1 Do you keep rpm up at 7-8K in both up and down hills?
It depends on the road and how hard I am riding, but I usually have my rpm's up high around 10k+

2 What do you do besides using abs and put your weigh on pegs for smooth downhill ride?
I find that if I hug the tank (with my legs/balls close, if not on the tank) and keep my leg pressed angainst the side fairing (instead of sticking it out), leaning with body 1/2 ass cheek, and trying to kiss the mirror.

3 Do you worry about skidding at all when you see some debris?
No, try to get the bike as straight as possible and roll off the throttle.

I ride alone now so I won't push myself riding with others. But I do want to get to group riding level soon!! Any tips will be highly appreciated!
1.) Ride your own ride
2.) Leave ego at home
3.) Riding with other riders more skilled than you is a great way to enhance your own abilities...don't get sucked in...rider your own ride.

I would also reccomend getting some gear (if you don't already have it) suit, gloves, boots, it is well worth the investment. I would also look into going to the track. The track is the perfect place to hone in your canyon carving skills. Get with an instuctor and have him show you the lines and give you pointer.

Best of luck out there,
B~

·
Registered
393 Posts
1) Depends, but i try to keep it above 6k.
2) Try use your thighs around the tank a little more and relax the arms a bit.
3) Yes, but depending on your speed, line of sight, and debris, sometimes you just have to ride though it. Scan well ahead and look through turns -- anticipate anything and everything especially on public roads. The best thing you can to is to be prepared.

**Hesitating is natural when you're first learning. Try and practice in a big parking lot first. You don't wanna go wide and get hit by an oncoming car. If you're braking during a turn using the front brakes, the bike will tend to go wide. Next time try and do most of your braking with the front before the turn and if you do have to brake in the turn, use the back brake kinda like a rudder to slow down and tighten your line. Remember hesitating is the worst thing you can do. In a situation like that, I would either give it gas or try and stop altogether, but never be second guessing yourself midturn. Thats a bad thing waiting to happen.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I am by no means a pro but if you want I could ride with you and give you some pointers. I see that it says your from Canoga if that is Canoga Park send me a PM or reply back in this thread and maybe we can get together and I can show you what I know.[8D]

·
Registered
138 Posts
no one has mentioned this, so ill throw it out there. when you guys ride the canyons do you realize how much you push your handle bars? pushing the handle bars greatly increases your lean. it's counter steering though. if your making a right turn push the right handle bar and vis versa. try this on the freeway first. like on a on ramp. dont lean or anything just push your handle bars and you'd be surprised at how much the bike leans with that alone. its also much much more stable when you have a damper.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Look through the turn for the exit and the bike will follow. Sounds to me like you might have a bit of target fixation going on.

Do most/all of your braking BEFORE entering the turn (while the bike is upright). I use very little brakes on twisty roads and adjust my speed with the throttle. That means I'm not hammering the throttle on the straights, I just flow. Read the article "The Pace" by Nick Ienatsch.

Keep your upper body relaxed, especially your arms and inside shoulder.

FWIW, I usually ride between 7K and 11K RPMs, except when passing. Then I'll let the motor sing.

Gravel used to freak me out. Now I'm much better at predicting it and dealing with it. You'll eventually get used to the bike wiggling a little under you. Can't say I'm comfy with real slides yet. Lots of gravel in WV and OH, but a tire track is usually fairly clean.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by stryder420
no one has mentioned this, so ill throw it out there. when you guys ride the canyons do you realize how much you push your handle bars? pushing the handle bars greatly increases your lean. it's counter steering though. if your making a right turn push the right handle bar and vis versa. try this on the freeway first. like on a on ramp. dont lean or anything just push your handle bars and you'd be surprised at how much the bike leans with that alone. its also much much more stable when you have a damper.
That is very interesting advice, concidering that counter steering (pushing on the bars, as you say) is the primary way to steer a vehicle with two inline wheels and is pretty much the first thing you learn when you start riding. :)

As far as my $.02, it sounds like you need to work on some things that are a lot more fundamental before you start worrying about hanging off the bike. It sounds pretty odd that you feel like you are going into turns too slow, yet you end up going wide. As others have said, this might be target fixation on the outside edge of the road.

Try working on proper visual skills (looking far enough ahead), proper steering inputs, proper breaking skills (got all the breaking done before the turn) and once you have those down, speed will come naturally.

·
Registered
474 Posts
if youre going wide on any turn on the streets, your going to fast for your skill level. don't risk smashing into on coming traffic. its never pretty, no joke. on the streets don't think your valentino rossi. just ride at no more than 80%, and always have that 20% for unforseen things (gravel, animals, other riders in your lane).

·
Registered
560 Posts
garry pretty much said what i was going to. look through the turns. look to where you want to go, not to where youre heading. its pretty startling what the stats are about crashes caused by target fixation. ive had one myself.

youre way better off entering the corner slower and then speeding up than you are hitting the brakes mid lean. manage your weight with your legs, and keep your upper body loose. its natural to try to "drive" the bike, but you have to train yourself to "ride" it. it takes almost no pressure from your arms on the bars to turn the bike. you should be able to hold the bars with a thumb and a finger(dont try that now)also, if you have a relaxed grip on the bars, the slippage caused by debris or whatever is far less scary. you learn to deal with it, but be careful with that back break. thats the first thing alot of people do when they panic...lock up the rear. stay calm and stay loose. roll off the throttle and let the engine brake for you.

someone said on here that your ass has a built in divider so you can get part of it off the seat. if you shift your weight into the turn, you can carry more speed without so much lean.

MOST IMPORTANTLY...learn at your own pace. if you ride with a group, dont be afraid to ask an experienced rider for help, but dont try to push yourself to keep up. its better to be slow than to go down trying to be fast. work on form and being smooth, the speed will come.

wear your gear. you never know when youll go down, cause you will, and youll be glad you had it on.

be safe, good luck. listen to these guys/girls here. alot of em know way more than me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Important thing is trust the bike. Believe me, if there isn't gravel or oil or anything else on the road....you're not going to crash! Countersteer and countersteer some more! You will make it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for great tips!!
I've read SRT and Code's books and they were helpful.
Will work on visualization and more smooth steering at my speed.
Yes I wear a full gear all the time for twisties.

Someone said I should get rid of stock tires and get Pilot Powers or Qualifiers. I will if that improves my confidence level but maybe in a while.

Well safe riding for all of you and see some of you out there sometimes (Malibu, every weekends for now. If you see slow ass black 636, that's me!).

·
Registered
393 Posts
reintr0ducing, man there ain't no real twisties here [V]. I've tried the Tantalus thing and almost got mangled in the bushes a few times, riding out east on H1 near Hanauma to Sea Life Park area is too short and way scary with all those cars coming at you, down by Kalaheo High by that rock quarry is way too short and too scary with all those big trucks flying down the blind turns, down by the North Shore there are a few streches of nice twisties, but someone had the bright idea to go ahead and put all those white/yellow bumps/reflectors lining a god portion of the roads...there just ain't no place here. It's a shame they closed the only race track here. [V]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.