Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my 636 wants to tank slap alot if it gets light in front or between shifts it tries to tank slap is anyone else having these probs I have 3500 miles on it now

·
Registered
486 Posts
i actually had the same problem last night. i just tried "gunning" it in 1st, and rolled off the throttle shifted to 2nd and the front barely came up off the ground. and the the handlebars started shaking. ive never experienced this before so it scared the hell out of me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
What you all are experiencing is "HEADSHAKE" not a tank slapper.
A tank slapper sends the bars from one stop to the other and 99% of the time ends up with you watching your bike as it slides down the road without you.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I get the "headshake" quite often now (when the front tire skims the ground as I'm rapping through the low gears). I'm used to it now, but I hope it doesn't get much worse. Have to admit, scared the hell out of me the first time too! Damper on the top of mod list...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. The first time I decided to "GET ON IT". I was at a light, hammered first, and as I hit second the front tire was going over a man hole cover. The bars started shaking and scared the shit out of me, but im okay now:D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Happened to me too. Full acceleration, shifting from second to third, over a little slightly bumpy pavement on the highway, and the bars started shaking like shit, at 105! Scared the shit out of me. I'm saving for a damper.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The 636 is setup a little more aggressive than other models. A more aggressive bike is more prone to have headshake. Thank god for my 02.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Along with setting proper sag you should check to see that your wheels are properly balanced. A lot of times they aren't done very well at the factory as the machines used to balance tires need re-calibration frequently.

A steering dampener will help for certain, but you're only masking the problem at hand. Does the bike seem to wobble a little bit when you shift while going for it in the higher gears too? If so, then the tires definately need to be balanced correctly.

Also of note, maybe the rear tire isn't very straight in its guide, so be sure to check wheel alignment too. The frame might be a little out of straight too, but that's negligable as most frames are just a little off coming off the assembly line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.