Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started reading this board a month and a half ago, when I started shopping for a new bike. I'm coming off 7 years of a 95 Ninja 500 (EX500), and it was definitely time for something bigger. I took one look at the '03 636, and knew I was out $8,000. :)

After doing plenty of reading on this board, and sitting on and pawing at the bike for about 2 hours, I rolled a silver 636 off the floor. Just wanted to thank you guys for this board, as the board is what you all have made it, and it kicks ass.

The gripes about the firm ride (seat and suspension) were right for the first two weeks, and I was considering tuning the suspension, but held out. Glad I did, as I wouldn't touch those adjustments for anything now; it hugs the road like it's on rails. Suspension is a little tall for me (I'm 5'6"/160 lbs), but that only matters at 0 mph, and I'm used to it now. Might get a steering damper, as I hate the shimmy when I land the front off of a 2nd gear wheelie (which, with my weight, happens often with hard acceleration).

At any rate, thanks again for the advice on this board. 2,000 miles later, I could simply not be happier.

L8R!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
welcome to the board!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Good decision. The 03s are unfreaking beatable (even thought my 02 still kicks lots of ass).

If would feel better in getting a steering damper put in, I say do it. Its a safety feature and it might just save you ass one day.

Have fun and be safe on your 636 bro.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I've landed several wheelies slightly crossed up and find it sorts itself out pretty reliably (thankfully)... but I think it also has a lot to do with rider weight, and I'm a little "heavier"... ;) Still torn on whether I'm going to add the damper, but maybe better to do it now than to say down the road "man, a damper might have helped me there..."

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just ut my damper on ---scotts difference is night and day
Im 6' 130-140 so that front end landing all weird has happend a lot to me
I say get one mine was 404 from I think hardracing.com

Gonna post pics in about 2 days

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just threw a Scotts Damper on it, after a few severe headshakes from hitting bumps at high speeds (+100 mph). I haven't taken it out for a hard ride yet, but I can tell the difference when I hammer on it, and it rides a little smoother. Set it for 9 clicks off of Hard, and it seems to touch down a lot smoother. Thanks for the tips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.