Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little bastard just wouldn't come off! And that's after an hour of heating it and blasting away with the impact gun. Unbelieveable!
........that's all, just wanted to complain:(

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
did ya get it off?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn... I looked through a few threads on this topic and we seem to be doing everything right. Turning the nut counter-clockwise with an impact gun after heating it with everything from a heat gun to a blow torch. How much loctite is on that thing? Any suggestions? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just used a powerful impact gun and it came right off. Do you have a beefy ratchet and a long pipe?[:p]

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, tried that too. The ratchet is 3 ft long, with a high-impact socket. Almost yanked the bike off the lift. Impact gun is some kind of Snap-On and all of our shop air lines run 120 psi. The techs couldn't believe their eyes, they say they've never seen a nut sitting on so tight...that was definitely not the first sprocket they had to replace.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by keith_phan
i assumed you flattened the locking washer thinger that holds the nut on. if so an impact gun should take it off easily
Um, on a second thought, does this washer have to be perfectly straight? We banged the bent lip piece out to put the socket on, and it does stay on. When you squeeze the trigger, you can see that the socket is not turning at all, it is held by the nut.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i tried just flattening the one tab that was bent over on the locking ring, wouldnt come off with my impact. then i flattened the ring all the way around at every corner and impact took it right off after a couple seconds.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by keithk76
i tried just flattening the one tab that was bent over on the locking ring, wouldnt come off with my impact. then i flattened the ring all the way around at every corner and impact took it right off after a couple seconds.
Thank you, my friend, I'm gonna have to try that next time I take my bike to work. I gave up for today. This sucks, I was hoping to get it all done before the rain season starts tomorrow...

·
Registered
84 Posts
put a bar or a 2x4 between one of the wheel spokes and the swing arm so the wheel does not turn when you unscrew he nut...should come right off with no impact wrench or heating up.

·
28,939 Posts
Originally posted by twinn-burner
put a bar or a 2x4 between one of the wheel spokes and the swing arm so the wheel does not turn when you unscrew he nut...should come right off with no impact wrench or heating up.
i did the same but wrapped it in a towel so it didnt scratch. i used a breaker bar and it was lifting the bike. so i actually sat on the seat and tugged on the bar and it broke loose (sounded like a gun going off).

that biatch is tight

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a lot everyone, hopefully I'll be able to ride it to work tomorrow and get back at it. In the meantime, please keep posting if anything else comes to mind.

Oh, shit, almost forgot - the bike was in gear when we were trying to get the nut off. Does it matter? I don't see how it would change anything, but that's just all that I can think of... I was concerned about the transmission, but the techs said it won't hurt it (which I still have trouble believing).

·
Registered
717 Posts
same problem here. even had my own thread on it. i used a breaker bar, impact wrench, had a pipe with a towel stuck through the spokes, used heat, even tried a 180lb torque wrench and pegged it out(it was old so i didnt care if it broke), a 300lb guy sitting on the bike holding the brakes and finnaly just took it to the dealer and they did it for free. :D sorry but thats all that worked for me good luck with it. oh yeah the dealer told me that the washer didnt have to be perfectly straight just that lip bent up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.