Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, it’s on like Donkey Kong.

I have finally decided after looking at this 9 motor for a year sitting in my garage that it time to do the SWAP. I have attached some pix of the start of this process. Right now I’m just concerned with the fitment of the motor. Once this is done, I plan to install new piston rings and have the head reworked. Ill try and keep you all posted of my progress.

Wish me luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
man i wish i had the balls to do this swap on my own. good luck man, and take plenty of pics, cuz who knows, maybe one day ill grow some

·
Registered
131 Posts
i did this swap about 8/9yrs ago.. someone else was asking me about it (i think it was u)

the left front motor mount wont line up.. and u WILL have to shave/grind it down (by it i mean the motor mount/frame)..

its cake.. have fun... i know ull be loving it once its done..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
9 motor installed

Ok, I have the 9 motor installed. I think this is going to work out great!! I have removed material from the left engine mount to make room for the oil plate and line. It’s a tight fit, but it works. I am going to go over with a Dermal to smooth it all out and then paint it. All the other motor mounts line up perfect. I’ll need to come up with something to mount the left engine mount because it’s off center about half to 3 quarter inch.

Just waiting for my full Yoshi exhaust system to come in, then I’ll throw the carbs on and fire it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
like i said... i ran it just like that for the last 8/9 yrs.. and not a single prob.. i just pulled my 9r motor out... no stress cracks on the other mounts.. nothing... ill be puttin it back in.. when im done, with my little project...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The NINE is in and running!!

Ok, the nine is in and running. She sounds really good. With the full Yoshi exhaust, K&N air filter and a FactoryPro 1.7 RK jet kit this thing should pull like a beast. Also my sprocket size is 15 front and 43 rear so should add a little more torque on the bottom end. What the hell, I even installed a Muzzys radiator fan.

No real major issues during the transplant. There was plenty of documentation online in addition to people on the forum giving advice, thanks all. The throttle cable was a little tricky, but was able to get it working. So can’t wait to get her on the street. Hope she rides as good as she sounds. Let me tell ya, for the bang for the buck, the nine motor is the way to go.

The last thing I am going to do before putting her all back together is adjust the valve and sync the carbs, then it time to ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
sweet shit man! you got that done pretty damn quick too imho. Some day I'll get that swap done. What all do you need to source from the 9? Engine, carbs and ecu? Anything else? The 7 airbox fits still right? What about the exhaust system? Does that need to come off a nine too, or will the 7's mount up?

Again, nice job... Looks sweet... I really like the later year's black frame. Tire hugger and fender eliminator is nice too. :) Prolly outta send ya some rep too...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Damn, road this thing today and let me tell you what a difference. Front wheel comes up effortlessly in first and second. Still have some tuning to do, but this motor rocks. This is what the zx7r should have been.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
man, one of these days if a 9 engine shows up on craigslist it might just find its way into my bike. you guys just make it seem like an opportunity that you can't pass up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
9's are great

Ya this is what the 7r should have been.
Mine is a 92 J model with the 97 9r motor, god damned pulls hard, and lifts wheel so easily, back wheel seems to slip out a bit under hard acceleration out of corners also. Only thing is that, when trying to race a couple buddies on 6r's & 636 mine wheelies and I have to let off the gas in first and second, then I catch them and leave them ever so slightly. I only wish mine was 96 + model I like that front end better. Nothing wrong with a classic though, especially when I get Marchesini rims mounted!!:)

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.